[atlarge-discuss] Re: [ga] WHOIS policy primer

Karl and all assembly members, stakeholders or other interested parties,

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, todd glassey wrote:
>
> > becuase there MUST be some way of registering a data base wherein the owner
> > operators of domains are accessible. If not WHOIS, then what?
>
> That is a fallacy.
>
> There is no operational reason to have publicly visible contact
> information for a domain name.

  Exactly right!  And as you know Karl and others that have been
around these and other forums that have discussed this issue
for some 3+ years now also know that re-hashing this issue
without the active, direct and informed participation by snookering
the Whois issue into a closed and selective DNSO Task force
only shows that those interests and position as you rightly state,
Karl is not wanted by a "Chosen Few"...

> The only reason that such information has been required has been to
> placate the intellectual property interests who demand to know who domain
> name owners are (but who want to hide their own identities when they file
> WLS subscriptions.)

  Yes.  And the detail of what the IP community wants is not needed for them
to adequately defend their Intellectual Property.

> The contact information for IP addresses does have operational value,
> is more likely to be correct, and the lookup key (the IP address) is much
> less likely to be forged than a domain name.

  Good point.  In fact APNIC is developing a "Version 3" or "V3"
of this form of Whois... See: http://www.apnic.org/services/whois_guide.html

> If you want to know from whence something is coming or has come, look to
> the IP address then go to the IP allocation databases maintained by the
> RIRs.

  Indeed correct.  Perhaps the IP community legal folks are either
unable or unwilling to do so and hence wish to impose onerous
policies upon Domain Name holders that in effect would impose
unfairly and perhaps illegally upon their privacy.

> Of course, with any database containing personally identifiable
> information, the rules of access ought to require that you leave your own
> identity and proof of that identity so that the data subject can know you
> were looking.  But there is no such obligation placed on those who mine
> DNS/whois for commercial gain or worse.

  Yes and interesting oxymoron...

> > because the WHOIS entry pertains to the public name that you are publishing.
> > By that act, the registering of a domain name, there is an inherent
> > agreement to be published in WHOIS.
>
> If that were the case then the identity of those buying WLS subscriptions
> would have been made public.

  Agreed.  However in the ICANN BoD's infinite wisdom, not including
you Karl, they did not consider this element in their recent vote on the
WLS issue...

> Having known people who have been stalked as a result of DNS/whois
> information, and having myself received mountains of whois derived e-mail,
> fax, and phone spam, I do not believe that there is even a close balance
> of equities on the social contract that you suggest.

  Also agreed here.

> DNS/Whois is a holdover from the days of the net when we all knew one
> another (and we would all fit into one meeting room in Pacific Grove,
> California.)  The DNS/whois of today is a violation of all privacy
> principles that have evolved over the last three decades.

  Indeed true, and the chickens on this have yet to come home
to roost.  But they will I am sure...