Re: [atlarge-discuss] 003 WG-WEB.mailinglists

Comments interspersed

----- Original Message -----
From: Joanna Lane <jo-uk@rcn.com>
To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@ntlworld.com>;
<atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 9:08 PM
Subject: RE: [atlarge-discuss] 003 WG-WEB.mailinglists

> Richard,
> I sympathise. This falls under the TOR for WG-WEB

*** why is the membership list and mailing lists a matter for WG-WEB? I
would say membership issues and contacts is more a matter for the Outreach
WG (though of course it crosses other groups as well)

 because it's quite a lot
> to sort out. Let's make it a priority. Here's my thoughts:-
>
> Assuming the members will receive a monthly newsletter at some point,
> WG-Outreach can solicit help using that,

The Newsletter will not be enough IMHO : that will be a good thing in
itself, but we need the ability to be more incisive, more targetted on
particular individuals, and we need to "enable and equip" co-ordinators of
particular nations or regions, so they can easily communicate with members
in their own areas. That's why it's so important to get national or regional
e-mail lists out to co-ordinators. We need to "facilitate" what must happen
more locally than at our central panel level. We should not "keep" the
mailing-lists to ourselves at "panel" level (not that I think you are
suggesting that!)

 or should you wish to target
> specific regions, members from that region can be isolated into a separate
> sublist to which your invitation could be targeted. We have to be careful
> not to spam, but I would not view this in that category, so as far as I am
> concerned, you could do this any time you like, or you could wait until we
> have at least a name and mailing list for you.

Good! So you are accepting the principle of disseminating "regional" mailing
lists? (Subject of course to the agreement of each individual member)

> Some aspects can be resolved by improving the sign up page, so that when
> people join, they can opt-into various add-on features, such as news about
> particular region's activity.

That's a really excellent idea

In that way, you would open the door to two
> way communication with those willing to be more active, enabling them to
> contact you and volunteer, as well as indicating they are receptive to
> receiving your communications.

Yes - really good idea

> Regards,
> Joanna