[atlarge-discuss] U.S. Will Renew ICANN's Authority

By David McGuire
washingtonpost.com Staff Writer
Friday, September 13, 2002; 5:41 PM

The U.S. government will renew a California nonprofit's authority to manage
the Internet's global addressing system, a top Commerce Department official
said today.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) manages the
Internet's Domain Name System (DNS) under agreements with the U.S. government
that are up for renewal at the end of this month.

"At this point we do anticipate that there will be an extension" of ICANN's
authority, Commerce Department Undersecretary Nancy Victory told reporters in
a conference call. Victory is the head of the Commerce Department's National
Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), which oversees
ICANN.

ICANN, based in Marina del Rey, has been criticized for failing to involve
the online public in its decisions, but Victory said she has been encouraged
by internal ICANN reforms. She added that new agreements with ICANN would
include provisions "designed to ensure that we continue progress forward with
the reform effort."

Victory did not say when the renewal of ICANN's authority would be completed,
nor did she indicate how long it would run.

ICANN President Stuart Lynn said the group is "in discussions with the
Commerce Department right now about the precise shape" the agreements will
take.

He added that ICANN would continue pushing to enact internal reforms. "We've
made good progress, but we haven't completed it. There's still work to be
done," Lynn said.

Formed in 1998, ICANN was commissioned by the U.S. government to inject
competition into the domain name industry, which had been monopolized by
Internet addressing giant Network Solutions Inc. Networks Solutions owned a
government contract to operate the technical backbone of the DNS, which was
originally created by government-funded U.S. scientists.

ICANN has accredited more than 100 new address retailers and approved seven
new globally available Internet domains that compete with dot-com, dot-net
and dot-org.

Earlier this year, ICANN embarked on an internal reform effort, but critics
still complain that the reform plans don't give a meaningful voice to
ordinary Internet users.

Victory said that the ICANN "experiment" needs more time to succeed, adding
that while she is pleased with ICANN's reform efforts thus far, but she is
not yet fully satisfied.

University of Miami Law Professor Michael Froomkin said he is not surprised
that the Commerce Department opted to renew the contract. "They don't want to
rebuild ICANN from scratch," he said.

Froomkin, editor ICANNWatch.org, a Web site often critical of ICANN, said it
will be more interesting to see how much pressure the Commerce Department
exerts on ICANN to reform itself.

Center for Democracy and Technology Policy Analyst Robert Courtney agreed.
"We've always sort of anticipated that the [memorandum of understanding]
would be renewed. We continue to hope for and continue to push for some new
provisions to be included in the MOU," Courtney said. The agreement should
clearly outline steps ICANN must take to improve its openness and
transparency, Courtney said.

Froomkin said that Victory's resolve will be key to ICANN's future. "What
matters is the will of the NTIA, what they put in the agreement is less
important," he said. "What matters more than anything else is when NTIA is
willing to draw a line in the sand and really mean it."

Later this month, Victory will be part of the U.S. delegation at a meeting of
the International Telecommunications Union in Marrakech, Morocco. The United
States intends to oppose the ITU's efforts to participate more in Internet
regulation, Victory said.