RE: [atlarge-discuss] resignation

Judith (et al) [my reactive comments are distributed below-jb]:

OUCH !!! That hurts! (My overall, short-hand reaction to the following)

"Judith Oppenheimer" <j.oppenheimer@worldnet.att.net> wrote via "[atlarge-discuss] resignation" [Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:28:20 -0400]:

I had hoped that being a panelist here would afford me the opportunity to contribute to the at large effort to the same degree or greater, as my advocacy work in other venues: publishing, working groups, task forces and the like.
I imagine this would be universally, or near universally true, of the other panelists as well, and hopefully true of all members in each of our native efforts, realms and venues.

It appears instead that despite the good intentions of a few good panelists and many good members, valuable time here has been inefficiently spent at best, and is detracting from other more productive work.
Of course, in ones own work, where optimally a "democracy" of one prevails, efficiency can be the hallmark. I of course use the word "democracy" here scatologically. But efficient we can certainly be -- working alone.

Whatever else one might observe -- there would (ought to) be at least 1000+ different observations in this group by now -- I assert that what we are witnessing here in this group is "real world politics," real world democracy. It is rough and tumble and gritty and infuriating and "wasteful."

Ultimately it is also, with the protection of the rights of vulnerable minorities, DEMOCRACY. In this organization I believe it to be the democracy we all so assiduously desire and pursue, however "imperfectly."

So with best wishes to all I resign immediately as panelist, and ask the current webmaster to reflect on the website my status as former panelist effective immediately.
Please say it isn't so!

Warm regards,

Judith Oppenheimer
*It is because* of my warmest regard for you, as well as respect, that I've broken my silence here of the last week or so. Previously my silence would not have injured our group, and I had nothing to add to the discussion-debate that was not already well said or already confused.

In this case, however, I cannot be silent as I experience your resignation as an injury to our organization, and beg you Judith to withdraw it now.

I learned long ago, and always forget only to relearn over and over again, the instant case being another such lesson, that one of the measures of me is my ability to tolerate ambiguity until clarity comes. And it does come.

One thing is *very* clear to me here and now.

Now is not the time for ANYONE to resign, let alone you.

Don't you see that by your resignation "they" will be winning without even having fired a shot!

Warmest, most cordial regards and affection...

/s/ Joey

Wednesday, September 25, 2002 * 9:40 AM EDT USA
=====
** I ** make mistakes... oh, every thousand years, or so...
-
When that happens I like to learn from them. Now therefore, I welcome and encourage you to bring my mistakes to my attention, so I am not "condemned" to make them ever again. ;-) /s/ Joey
=====