Re: [atlarge-discuss] Membership

Danny,

My apologies in advance for harsher than normal rhetoric, but you've touched a very sensitive nerve here.

At 10:00 PM 10/19/2002 -0400, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
Jeff,

What you are proposing is akin to a book club or society that is open to any
individual that enjoys discussing literature.  That is not my view of the
At-Large.  Instead, I see it as a political movement fighting for the
representation that has been denied to it.  Within this political context,
one would not wish to open up the membership to one's political rivals.
How does one define "rival"? The Ku Klux Klan never would allow in blacks, Jews, etc., but the NAACP never has denied membership to caucasians or other non-blacks. Which model would you prefer?

Do you prefer a loyalty oath? (And if so, how do you know that the person swearing the oath is not false-swearing?) There still are some instances where they are required - because U.S. attorneys technically are officers of the Court, I had to take one when I was admitted to the bar - but, generally, they are anathema to a free and open society or organization. Frankly, a loyalty oath smacks me as something that ICANN would do, if only it had thought of the idea.

my knowledge, the Democratic Party would not allow registered Republicans to
become members of their organization.
Technically, not so, though a formal switch would be required before a registered Elephant could vote as a Donkey.

  Neither should the At-Large
countenance members who are in opposition to the principles of the At-Large.
But how do you determine that, except perhaps in a few extreme examples? Hell, it's as easy as putting Cheez-Whiz on a Ritz to verify that I'm Karl Auerbach's attorney in his case against ICANN, so my bona fides should be unquestionable, but how do you know that I'm not just a paid gun for hire, that I didn't just agree to represent Karl for the paycheck, while personally opposing the at large idea? Surely, you know that attorneys are not bound to take on cases that are in accord with their own personal views.

U.C. Berkeley, home of the free speech movement in the sixties, still requires loyalty oaths of part-time student cafeteria workers. On principle, I would not care to associate with any such organization. Would you?