Re: [atlarge-discuss] PASSED: ALAC/ALOC REPRESENTATIVES

At 18:55 -0800 2002/10/29, Jeff Williams wrote:
>  I think you got it here Eric!  As is pretty clear there is a coup
>ongoing here.  Joop, Jefsey, Hans, and Marc are the
>main culprits I believe...  Judyth may also be playing a minor
>role of some kind also...

Begging your pardon, all, this is too much given who is saying it!

Let me spell out the (clearly) minor role I have been playing within this group: it is to point out certain practices which normally enable a grassroots-up non-profit organization to function effectively.

This would include such things as clearly defining the mandates of elected persons, the procedures by which elections are held and votes cast on resolutions, etc. Until we do so, and thereby establish the means for democratic decision-making and orderly discussion, what we have is not an organization or even a real group but a random collection of individuals.

Naturally, each individual in a random assembly without rules will behave as he or she sees fit, often regardless of the common purpose which brought the individuals together in the first place.

Naturally, too, since there has been no agreement on most of the things that need to be done, nothing at all will be done ... except by individuals acting without proper authority, who will then be duly lambasted for showing personal initiative.

People, it is time to "wake up and smell the coffee". Let's define the goals and the process and start working within them, or let's admit that this group exists to lend an appearance of democracy to something much more like anarchy than any form of organization.

I, too, have some reservations about the wording of the Panel's resolution:

>"After consultation with the membership to determine who would be
> interested in serving Icannatlarge.org as representatives, the panel shall
> vote on which persons to designate as representatives on the ICANN
> ALAC/ALOC effort. Those representatives will make regular reports to the
> membership about the ALAC/ALOC activities and will promote the views and
> policies of our organisation, as defined by panel majority in consultation
> with members."

would seem to mean the Panel will call for volunteers willing to represent Icannatlarge.org, then vote amongst themselves to choose the representatives; meanwhile, the Panel will decide when and how to consult with members (and possibly which members to consult) and decide what the views and policies of the organization will be, so the chosen representatives can articulate those views and policies.

Nothing in the resolution suggests that members will be allowed to vote on said policies and views, let alone elect their own representatives.

As Eric says, this is **exactly** what ICANN has done, for which we reproach them often and bitterly. The Panel was not elected to decide what policies the members must comply with and which members can be trusted to follow the Panel's decisions without worrying about the lack of ratification of those decisions.

The Panel *was* elected to shepherd the group through the phase of becoming a viable democratic organization to represent the broad constituency of Internet users. Thus far, I've seen little evidence that our Panel is much interested in what the members actually think, let alone what they would vote for -- if they were, and it was considered unnecessary to pay any attention to resolutions made and seconded by members on this list, then the Panel would by now have brought forward some kind of agenda and organized a ballot of the whole membership on something besides the domain name.

I hereby formally request that the Panel
- explain to the whole membership the procedure by which it would like to hold the consultations referred to in its resolution
- obtain the consent of the membership to the procedure (with means of amendment) so as to adopt it as permanent policy
- explain to the whole membership what their "views and policies" are
- obtain the consent of the majority of members before the adoption of those views and policies as representing the voice of the organization
- outline the reason why the Panel should select representatives from amongst the members volunteering rather than provide for the more-usual process of calling for nominations and subsequent calling of a vote

OR, failing the above, that the Panel explain to us why it feels it is justified to dispense with such procedures and simply follow the example of ICANN.

A prompt and public response from the Panel would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Judyth

>eric@hi-tek.com wrote:
>
>> WHAT!!!
>>
>> Show one place in your mandate of election and responsibilities that gives you
>> any right to work outside of our group.
>> This is exactly like ICANN, gross mission creep and done by staff - panel is
>> now acting like ICANN staff.

>> Hans Klein wrote:
>>
>> > The following motion has passed:
>> >
>> > "After consultation with the membership to determine who would be
>> > interested in serving Icannatlarge.org as representatives, the panel shall
>> > vote on which persons to designate as representatives on the ICANN
>> > ALAC/ALOC effort. Those representatives will make regular reports to the
>> > membership about the ALAC/ALOC activities and will promote the views and
>> > policies of our organisation, as defined by panel majority in consultation
>> > with members."
>> >
>> > Motion was made by Richard Henderson and seconded by Bruce Young.
>> >
>> > Voting closed on Saturday, October 26, 11:20PM EST
>> >
>> > YES
>> > ===
>> > Vittorio Bertola
>> > Richard Henderson
>> > Hans Klein
>> > James Love
>> > Jefsey Morfin
>> > YJ Park
>> > Bruce Young
>> >
>> > No
>> > ==
>> > [none]
>> >
>> > Abstain
>> > ======
>> > [none]
>> >
>> > Not Voting
>> > ========
>> > Vivek Durai
>> > Michael Geist
>> > Satyajit Gupta
>> > Edmundo Valenti
>> >
>> > ###
>>

>Regards,
>
>--
>Jeffrey A. Williams
>Spokesman for INEGroup - (Over 127k members/stakeholders strong!)
>CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
>Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
>E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
>Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801
>Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>