[atlarge-discuss] New PROPOSAL

Vittorio

I agree with the principle and proposal to enable all members to subscribe
to receive copies of all panel-list mail.

Even more important, in my opinion, is to urgently hear the voice and
opinions of our membership through a ballot/poll.

I have already initiated (and had seconded) a proposal that we ballot all
our members on our relationship to the ICANN Ralo's. I hope the panel will
authorise this ballot this week.

I also support Judyth Mermelstein's idea - that we should conduct a
wide-ranging poll/ballot of all our membership on a broad range of questions
regarding: our mission, our goals, our structure, our relationship to ICANN,
our relationship to other User organisations, our decision (or not) to
create a coalition/alliance outside ICANN with its own regional and national
structures and web presence which take precedence over any Icann structure.

I propose we open this wide-ranging research into the membership's wishes by
asking non-panel members to contribute questions as well as panel members.
We have nothing to fear from democracy, and the process would be an
affirmation of our profoundly democratic intent.

PROPOSAL: The panel will authorise an "open ballot" of the whole membership,
accepting questions from all members (up to a maximum of 3 questions per
member), and posting these questions as a ballot on February 1st. Facially
irrelevant and flippant questions (particularly those designed to discredit
the process) will be removed, but all other questions submitted by January
30th will be send to the membership. A record of the accumulating questions
will be posted at either the Icannatlarge.org or the Icannatlarge.com
website so that members can discuss issues in advance and decide whether to
add amended/related questions of their own. Members will have the right to
use their own wording in their proposed questions.

This proposal would be an ambitious but open demonstration of the real
democratic principles of our organisation. It would help define what our
members' views are.

If this proposal fails, I will suggest to Joop that the same process is
initiated through the Polling Booth.

Until we have clarification of what our members actually want in terms of
mission, we are stalled. Our members wishes are the only relevant factor.

Looked at positively, this is a very exciting prospect... using technology
to involve individuals far more than they are normally used in standard
election-style politics (where you basically vote for someone else to make
decisions for you on many issues). I think the panel has demonstrated that a
panel alone cannot move on this organisation. Therefore, let's put the panel
in the back seat while we give the membership the right to "question and
answer". And let's allow the membership the open democratic opportunity to
move this organisation on.

A Panel SECOND is invited to move this PROPOSAL on to a Panel Vote.

In the absence of Panel consult, we live in a free world, and ordinary
members will be free to carry out the process themselves. People will say,
"Lots of questions will put people off". I reply: "The people who really
care will be willing to answer a range of questions. It is not democracy
that is putting people off, but inertia and a lack of clarity and progress.
Let the members get really involved in this process."

regards

Richard Henderson