[atlarge-discuss] Call for Papers - Internet Research 4.0: Broadening the Band

Thanks to Patsy Price and Glenn Clavier of EAC/ACR.

Call for Papers - Internet Research 4.0: Broadening the Band

International and Interdisciplinary Conference of the Association of
Internet Researchers in Toronto, Ontario, Canada October 16-19

Association Website: http://www.aoir.org
Conference Website: http://www.aoir.org/2003 |
http://www.ecommons.net/aoir

Internet Research (IR) 4.0 will feature a variety of perspectives on
Internet, organized under the theme Broadening the Band. [...] the
aim is to develop a coherent theoretical and pragmatic understanding
of the Internet and those that are empowered and disenfranchised by
it.

Possible Topics:
- Who is bridging what: questions and answers on the digital divide
- New directions in digital art
- E-me, e-you? (E- Health, E-Governance, E-Commerce,E-Business,
E-games, E-entertainment, E-other)
- Ethnicity, Race, Identity, Gender, Sexuality, Language(s) and
Diverse Cultural Contexts Online
- Who Decides: Ethics, Law, Politics and Policy of the Internet
- We can't measure that, can we?  Meaningful Indicators for Internet
Access, Participation, Use and Effects
- Who owns what? Value, Space, and Commons on the Internet
- Is there an Author, a Publisher, or writing on the Internet?
- Transformed by Technics: New Technologies and The Post-Internet Age
- Who is watching your computer, when You're not watching it....
- When we are glocal: the Internet in global and local manifestations
- I put my lesson plans on the Internet, what changed?  Teaching,
Learning and the Internet
- Digital media and terror/ism: global flows, economies, and
surveillance
- Social movements, net-based activism, and hactivism in a global arena
- Which methods, whose theories? determining approaches to Internet
research
- Why did we digitize that, and what's it worth?  Exploring the value
of digital content

This list is not meant to be exhaustive, but rather to trigger ideas
and encourage submissions from a range of disciplines. The organizers
will take an active role in generating and joining the various
interests into appropriate formats.

Proposals can be for three types of contribution to the conference: -
papers, creative presentations, and panels.

Pre-Conference Workshops

Prior to the conference, there will be a limited number of
pre-conference workshops which will provide participants with
in-depth, hands-on and/or creative opportunities. We invite proposals
for these pre-conference workshops; local presenters are encouraged
to propose workshops that will invite visiting researchers into their
labs or studios or locales.

Graduate Students:

Graduate students are strongly encouraged to submit proposals.

To ensure diverse participation, registration fees will be kept low
for presenters, and a billeting and room sharing system will be
established.  Simultaneous French language translation will be
available (subject to budgetary considerations) in certain sessions.

Detailed information about format of submission and review is
available at the conference website http://www.aoir.org/2003. All
proposals must be submitted electronically at
http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/confman/

Deadlines:

Submission site available: January 15, 2003
Final date for proposal submission: March 1, 2003
Author notification: April 1, 2003
Presenter's Registration to the conference: September 1, 2003
Student Award: Completed paper: September 1, 2003

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>