Re: [atlarge-discuss] New PROPOSAL

Someone once wrote:

"When people believe in nothing, they rot. The world has its greatest
moments at the time of its greatest faith."

If we allow internet governance to be reduced to a profit motive promoted
cynically in the interests of a few, then the project will indeed rot.

But new things and new ways are possible if we have faith in the internet as
a voice for ALL people, if we have faith in the voice of ALL people, if we
believe the internet should be administered in a way which makes the
governance accountable to ALL people.

I have no interest in the mindset which runs:

US Govt and Globalisation > Corporate Oligarchy and Trademark Lobby > DoC >
Construction of a "Front" organisation called ICANN > Governance which is
"top down" and unaccountable > serving interests of those who set ICANN up

This is the existing scheme.

The At Large is a problem in this scheme unless it is safely "contained" and
then marginalised and rendered powerless. The concept of democratic
representation on a worldwide basis is anathema to ICANN, because if you
look back down the chain-of-command to the people who made ICANN and keep it
in place, it has no place in things.

So, although my proposal to develop "bottom-up" democratic processes and a
new style of self-organisation may seem radical (from Latin= roots), that is
maybe what is needed.

We need to step outside the "loop" that runs from USG>DoC>ICANN>back to USG
interests.

We need a radical democratic response. This would attract the sympathies of
millions who disagree with "the loop" which manifests itself all over the
world in different economic guises.

Like any act of faith, it sometimes needs to start as small as a tiny band
of dreamers.

To be "contained" within the "loop" is to be "controlled" within the "loop".

The ICANN Ralos are a means of containing the pretence of an At Large INSIDE
its own mechanisms. But it would be the creation of ICANN. The structure of
ICANN. It would not enable democratic intervention in the governance of the
internet. It would be a "method" and a "form" without the will to
acknowledge the central case for User Participation - democratic
accountability. The RALO's will legitimise Stuart Lynn's "coup" and shut out
the At Large from the Board Room perpetually.

To ascertain the actual dreams, substantive plans and objectives of ALL our
membership, I have proposed (and intend to see carried out) an open poll of
our whole membership. This poll will review our mission. Our goals. Our
structure. Our relationship to Icann. Our relationship to other similar
organisations. Our name. Everything will be OPEN to be discussed and voted
upon. Every member will be allowed to phrase their own questions. Let people
be heard.

I advocate a period for posing questions (whatever questions people want). I
advocate the right to present explanatory notes with those questions to
"clarify" and "inform" - and the submission of alternative opinions. All
these questions, their supporting comments, and alternative views could be
put up on one of our websites. At the point of voting, members would have
the option of clicking on the URLs to inform themselves further.

I advocate a ballot of the entire membership, with people at liberty to NAME
themselves on their returns if they wish, so that those people who believe
we should step outside the loop, can do so unhindered. I am unafraid of
people's views and opinions. I want to know them. I want to know who stands
for what, and what this membership actually wants. The outcome would be:

Some people working INSIDE the "loop".

Some people working OUTSIDE the "loop".

And some people choosing to work for both processes.

At least that would then be honest.

How can we set Mission Statements until we identify what various people
actually want?

Richard Henderson