Re: [atlarge-discuss] New PROPOSAL

Response below -

----- Original Message -----
From: DPF <david@farrar.com>
To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@ntlworld.com>

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:00:40 -0000, "Richard Henderson"
<richardhenderson@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>PROPOSAL: The panel will authorise an "open ballot" of the whole
membership,
>>accepting questions from all members (up to a maximum of 3 questions per
>>member), and posting these questions as a ballot on February 1st.

>Do you really think a ballot of up to 3,000 questions is going to make
>members want to stay members or drive them off?

David, in reality we know that probably only six or seven people will phrase
questions (based on normal input to these lists and assuming not all will
want to). At a maximum, I would say we'd get 20 people wanting to pose a
question.

I think we would end up with 20 to 30 questions in total.

On the other hand, if this PROPOSAL initiated a larger scale participation,
I'd be delighted.

What I am against is an executive or panel "filtering" what questions should
be asked, or how the questions should be phrased. That can lead to only
asking the questions the executive want answered.

On the contrary : we are developing a new democratic identity in the world
of internet governance, and we can use a new style of openness and member
emancipation.

I argue that we have NOTHING to fear from letting ordinary members ask their
own questions (phrased however they want) and NOTHING to fear from hearing
how the membership thinks and votes.

So my PROPOSAL stands, and I fully intend to provide an interface for the
membership to present their own questions and have them ballotted, if the
Panel declines to get involved.

We are in new days... and a style and freedom probably alien to ICANN and
its "delegates" and "control" of every agenda. The organisation I believe
in, and want to belong to, is democratic from the bottom up and allows these
kinds of grassroots initiatives. I believe in introducing a new style of
democratic process into the realms of internet governance, as a challenge to
ICANN's crushing of democracy.

So my best wishes, David, and let (a) the Panel decide what THEY want to do;
and (b) let ordinary members decide what THEY want to do.

That's the way it is.

Richard