[atlarge-discuss] RALOs and parties (was Re:...)

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:26:24 +1300, you wrote:

>Sorry, but no committee carries such a mandate.  And I would never give
>such a mandate to untested and unproven people.
>
>Each individual member is to be offered the choice to which party (s)he
>wants to belong. It is a democratic right. Self-elected Party leaders
>decide whether to RALO or not.

I can tell you that (and not by chance) this is exactly the model I
proposed for the RALOs, with the At Large Structures acting as
parties, an individual RALO membership acting as voters, the RALO
Councils acting as regional parliaments, and the ALAC acting as
super-regional council.

Personally (and this is my very personal opinion - it's up to the
membership to decide what the organization should do) I think that we
should now focus on fighting for this model to be implemented in the
RALOs, rather than a model based on lots of indirect representation
and bureaucracy; and then, that we become the most open and active
Party in such Parliament.

The alternative is that we try to become another Parliament, competing
with the RALO/ALAC mechanism for that role. I think this is likely to
be impossible for us, and moreover, useless. It may happen that the
ALAC becomes a corrupt Parliament - but it will certainly happen if no
one from the good side of the force accepts to join it.
--
vb.                  [Vittorio Bertola - vb [at] bertola.eu.org]<---