Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [atlarge-panel] PROPOSAL: that an election is called for a new Panel

Judyth and all,

espresso@e-scape.net wrote:

> At 21:40 -0800 2003/02/08, Jeff Williams wrote:
> >  Polls are a useful toll if used well and honestly.  They are or can
> >also >be a divisive instrument to sway opinion in a direction that is
> >other than
> >honest as well.  Erco, they can be used a s two edged sword.
>
> Thus far, I agree completely.
>
> >...Hence
> >for a reasonable chance for any poll to be a useful tool such polls
> >must
> >be conducted by and totally independent professional polling
> >organization.
>
> Much depends on whether one conducts a poll to determine what people
> already think, or develops a sequence of questions to lead respondents
> in a particular direction ... something which some commercial polling
> enterprises do all the time at the behest of their clients.

  Very true and part of my earlier point (See above)...

> If we follow the proposal to
> - allow any member to suggest questions
> - make sure all members have the opportunity to respond
> - make sure we collect and compile all the answers impartially
> - publish the results for interpretation by everyone so that
>   any biases can be detected and discussed
>   our understanding of what they're really saying,
> then I think even amateur polls can be useful. Transparency
> is everything in our case -- an issue commercial pollsters
> and market research people don't even think about.

  A number of good points and suggestions here as well.  I have
made a number of them several times in the past.

  Indeed Amateur polls can be useful and informative.
They should be used cautiously, and above all
honestly, as You and I seem to agree upon.

  The latest Joop-Poll did not meet the criterion adequately.

> >However such polls cost $$, which ICANNATLARGE.ORG has almost
> >none of, if any at all.  Here enlies one of or most central and endemic
> >problems, FUNDING and a FUNDING method /plan...
>
> At some future time, this organization may decide it needs to
> pay MediaMetrix or Gallup or somebody a large sum to conduct
> worldwide, statistically-significant polling of Internet users.
> If it does, no doubt it will raise the money to do so.

  Agreed.  And that time is now...

> Until then, it's as well to remember that the very best and
> most reliable polling results are obtained when all eligible
> voters cast their votes, and that costs a lot less.

  This is indeed the most valued criterion for this organization.
However it does not go far enough for our obvious needs
presently...  Hence my Earlier two suggestions...