[atlarge-discuss] My two cents...

Dear all,

First of all, I appreciate our active panelists and members
who have been hosekeeping our base with their endless
energies and contributions.

As inactive member of the ICANNatLarge.org's panelists,
I do share my concerns why we have failed to do achieve
our missions and goals as we had expected and suggest how
we should overcome this hurdle.

I don't want to blame anybody in this course especially within
ICANNatlarge.org and if there should be a person who should
be responsible for it, I admit I can be one of those people.

Here is my observation about our organization, ICANNatlarge.org

1.1. Lack of trust among the panel members

It ends up with every single decision including administrative
one was forced to be tabled for voting and it made panel feel
exhausted and walk away step by step.

1.2. Different visions among the panel members

Some want to work within the ICANN structure and others
refused to be within ICANN. More independent approach
was tabled and caused controversy which ended up with
distrust again.

1.3. Different strategies among the panel members

Some want to create local at-large and others want to
unify every local efforts into global one. Some advocated
at-large group should be specialized in technical expertise
and ask panel to address those issues as leaders. Others
were focused on more At-Large infrastucture building process
as framework.

2. Reality Check

2.1. Lack of participation and spammers

We see very limited regular participation either from members
or from panelist who usually say different things in their own
voices not being interested in listening to the others. Therefore,
this list is filled up with fighters' spirit and made people turned off.

2.2. Tensions with ICANN's own At-Large organizing effort

Our substnatial energies have been spent to deal with
ICANN's own At-Large organization efforts. Some have
experessed their concerns what if this organization is not
included as an authentic organization by ICANN at-large
coordiators. Some didin't want to have any cooperation with
ICANN at all.

When ICANNatlarge.org meeting was held in Amsterdam,
we have witnessed "four" people show up. Except Vittorio
and myself and the other two came to our meeting who were
initially sitting and waiting for ICANN's at-large meeting in
other room then. When ICANN's At-Large meeting was held
in other room, we have seen all of sudden more than 15 - 20
or so people to discuss at-large in a more active manner.

3. Future Action Items

3.1. To continue as it is preparing our 2nd panel election

Despite piled complaints, we should keep going on if this
group really wants to move forward and prepare for the 2nd
election hoping they can work better than the first panelists.

3.2. To participate in the WSIS process as civil society

I have attended two WSIS regional meetings recently and
I saw potential for an organization like us to play an important
role to build cooperation with other parties. Some panelists
are expected to work on this from now on to get accredited
in order to participate in the process and to share our mission
with the diverse stakeholders.(Other civil society groups, the
governments, Private sector)

3.3. To participate in the ICANN process as At-Large group

As some of us have done, we still have to be inside ICANN
as part of At-Large structure to be heard and reflected in the
decision-making process.

3.4. To organize local At-Large groups and start to exchange
information on each At-Large community

As recommended by some, we may re-try to start to organize
local At-Large groups and begin to communicate each other
as local at-large groups.

Hoping this observation and suggestion can be of help to this
whole process......

Sincerely,
YJ