[atlarge-discuss] Correction re: Results from "URGENT: Guidance requested"mini-ballot

Jefsey Morfin has written to me off-list again at some length

Although his message contained much more and I've replied
to him off-list accordingly, my message of yesterday
should be modified to read:

Voted: Joey Borda, Micheal Sherrill, Hugh Blair, Stephen Waters,
Jeff Williams, David Farrar, DVB Rao, Bruce Young, Holger Steiner,
Richard Henderson - Total: 10
Abstention*s*: Jan Siren, who agreed to act according to the results
            since he is in the same position as I
               Jefsey Morfin
Commented offlist: 3 - see below
<<<

and the following corrections should be noted with regard to
my summary of his off-list comments:

>On 02:17 12/03/03, espresso@e-scape.net said:
>
>>    a) as he stated in a message to the list, the election
>>       should be held using Joop's Polling Booth, with 5
>>       "watchdogs" including himself, and he should be given
>>       administrative access to the Polling Booth
>
>No. I said COULD be held using Joop's polling booth SHOULD
>
>1. Joop NOT being a candidate
>
>2. The Panelists get the list and can control the process
>     is not biased.
>
>3. 5 watchdogs are accepted including 2 software pros
>
>4. The vote is not discussed by Joop and concerns
>     the election of 11 Panelists to incorporate and
>     protect the list, the DN and the site and to enter
>     Members approved MoU for the rest.
>
>I note that I am currently the ONLY one who committed
>not to be a candidate in order to insure a correct and
>neutral support of this vote and who does not support
>any political agenda for this group.
>

>>    b) since I had no right to get the list from Vittorio,
>>       I should have sent it to him without asking the rest
>>       of you what to do
>
>No. People on that list gave their names to the
>icannatlarge.org organization, not to Vittorio to
>give it away to anyone to divide and kill. Bruce and
>me have tried to insure the continuity of the
>organization legitimacy in asking you to accept
>the list from Vittorio. You broke that legitimacy
>in not sharing it with what is left from these
>Panelists.
>
>Any use you will do may/will be protested
>by Members. This killed the icannatlage.org as
>intended by the ALAC Chair.
>
>>    c) as a "watchdog" [which I am not yet since we haven't
>>       yet agreed on what we will be doing when with which
>>       process(es)] I not only should remain impartial
>>       during the election period but also should have known
>>       I had lost my right to speak my mind to you about
>>       anything even now
>
>Either you are a watchdog and you have no other
>agenda than to run the election. Or you are not
>and you have to stop considering anything about
>using a list entrusted to you as a watchdog.
>
>You made clear since you got that list, through
>your mails, through the 1% vote you organized,
>trough this very mail that you have an agenda.
>
>I respect that agenda. But disclosing it as you
>did endangers the organization of an election.

Needless to say, I've responded to his lengthy message
disputing some of his assumptions and again emphasizing
that once I had been given the list without any
legitimate mandate for having or using it, I could see
no way to behave ethically but to ask you --the small
number of members I actually had the means to ask
without opening that darned file and rendering the
question academic-- what you thought I should do.
I stand by that request and by the responses received
from those of you who chose to respond.

Jefsey asked me "what is the plan and the next step?"
and this is how I responded:

I'm not sure about "the" plan but *my* plan is to consider the
vote as a mandate from the membership which calls for

- the distribution of notices and ballots to all the addresses
  in Vittorio's list, even those Joop didn't have or said
  shouldn't be told about the elections

- the use of the list in some manner to check that ballots
  come from real members and nobody gets to vote twice

- me personally to do what I can to make sure the notices
  of the election and the call for candidates, etc. do
  actually get sent in good time so the members can really
  exercise their right to vote, and even their right to be
  or nominate candidates if they choose.

Other than that, we'll see over the next few days how others
interpret the data and what they want to do about the elections.
Eventually, I hope, there will be a new elected Panel which
takes its mandate seriously and will help this group become
a democratic grassroots organization for all individual
Internet users ... but we'll see what the members decide
they want and I'll accept the will of the majority.

Regards,

Judyth

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>