Re: [atlarge-discuss] Election Management

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 05:21, J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
> Dear Bruce,
> we now have the list, the ftp access and the domainname control. We being
> you, Eric, Jan, Judyth and me. I suggest that we forget about all the past
> and actually try to get those elections rolling. You took the lead and I
> support that. I responded my positions and I think we are in argeement.
> Abel proposed to develop whatever is needed and you proposed Joop to pass
> his questions and to DPF to edit them.
>
> What next? I must say I am overwhlemed and have not much time left for
> this. What I can do without problem is:
>
> 1. to take the list of the Members in a radom order.
>
> 2. allocate them a nr and compute a checking key using their mailname and a
> secret key
>
> 3. copy the list with watchdogs
>
> 4. send each of the members a priavte ballot with their nr/checker to
> respond to a mailbox
>      - acknowldeging the ballot
>      - copying to as many watchdogs as one want
>      each member can claim his ballot if not received.
>
> 5. each ballot would have each choices as :
>
>      @voter_nr.md5based checker#question_nr: [  ] question : response A
>      example for  Member 0021 with checking key xh7j.
>       "@0021xh7j#01: [  ] Panel: Paul McGregor
>        @0021xh7j#02: [  ] Panel: Gérard Dupont ..."
>
>      This way we only have to take all the received ballots mailbox and
> make a grep of the lines with an uinitial "@" to have all the
> files.
>
>      This way a grep on the question "#nr" gives the result of each question.
>
> 6. the file may be put in line, so everyone can check his @nr are there and
> check the results.
> The watchdoc may veryfy the claims in checking the list names vs the voters nr.

Looks reasonable Jefsey.

Can you post the code to the list -- or at least give a link to it
somewhere so we can review the code?

What secret key algorithm, padding, or chaining (if more than 1 block)
do you plan to use? If you're planning on using Perl, Crypt::CBC makes
this stuff pretty easy, including md5sum of cryptext.

Note, though, that md5sums are usually 32 characters...

md5sum (32 chars)                 vote  candidate (race)
@0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef  [ ]  Paul McGregor (Panel)
@0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef  [ ]  Gérard Dupont (Panel)
@0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef  [ ]  Gandalf the Grey (Panel)
@0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef  [ ]  Gérard Dupont (Webmaster)...

md5sum                            vote  race   candidate
@0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef  [ ]  0x01   Paul McGregor
@0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef  [ ]  0x01   Gérard Dupont
@0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef  [ ]  0x01   Gandalf the Grey
@0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef  [ ]  0x00   Gérard Dupont

md5sum                             race  vote candidate
@0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef  0x01  [ ]  Paul McGregor
@0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef  0x01  [ ]  Gérard Dupont
@0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef  0x01  [ ]  Gandalf the Grey
@0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef  0x00  [ ]  Gérard Dupont