Re: [atlarge-discuss] WIPO recommendations on IGOs and Country Names

Richard Henderson wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I personally think it would be preferable to dedicate a TLD for national
> governments, and let that TLD identify their sites as the official site for
> that country. In this way, you broaden out the options instead of narrowing
> them down. So the nation of Iceland's site could be found at: Iceland.state
> (or whatever ending was designated).

Nation states could use the .int domain.  WIPO uses it, why not sovereign
countries if they were heel-bent on a TLD?  Not to mention that every country
has its own ccTLD already!

Here in Canada, Canada.com is owned by one of the largest national television
networks... I can't see them giving up that domain any time soon, simply because
WIPO wants them to... in any case, the delegations of Australia, Canada and the
United States of America dissociated themselves from this WIPO initiative, and
Japan wasn't too supportive ither, so I don't think WIPO will get its way on
this.  I think they're heyday has come and gone vis a vis domain names.

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos