Re: [atlarge-discuss] Last Man Standing

Ron and all fellow members,

Ron Sherwood wrote:

> Dear Danny:
>
> Your point is valid from the participation perspective, but I think that if
> we are to limit the choice of panelists to those that a) understand the DNS
> issues, b) have discussed them with ICANN representatives and c) are willing
> to serve as panel members, we would have to limit the number of panel
> members to the number of fingers on one hand (with some amputations).

  Very good and valid point here Ron.  It is important that good representation
be those that have historic knowledge base in technical aspects of DNS.
That excludes most of the members or the this fledgling organization.  Yet
the members should be able to elect whomever they wish of course..

> Surely the real problem is not a list of nominees who have the skills, the
> track record, and the will to discuss the issues with ICANN (and others) and
> who could adequately represent our membership; but rather who among that
> fine group has the time, the patience and the stamina to wade through the
> daily minutiae and administrative bickering encountered on this list.

  Also very true here as well Ron.  Your on a roll it seems...  >;)

> What is needed is a structure that permits members to make their views known
> and debated in open forum, while leaving the administrative panel free to
> get on with the duties associated with their office.  As long as any member
> is permitted to criticize every action of every officer every day, and
> expect instant responses and immediate course changes (often with demands
> for resignation if the panelist fails to respond), we will never have a
> panel that can achieve anything.

  Any panel member should be able to respond to questions or requests
in the space of a day or they should resign and/or be required to resign.
As a CEO, I am required to do so as a matter of the definition of
my position.

> To seriously evaluate and respond to four thousand emails a year would be
> hard to handle for a paid professional with nothing else to do.  For a
> volunteer officer, who's valuable spare time and energy should be spent in
> creating and growing an interested and participatory membership. And then
> representing that membership viewpoint at the highest levels of a global
> communications structure, the task is impossible.

  This is nonsense.  I do so every day Ron.  And INEGroup has far more
members than ICANNATLARGE.ORG does.  If I can accomplish such
responsibilities than anyone else should be able to if the apply themselves.