RE: [atlarge-discuss] Election Preparation

Joop Teernstra wrote:

|  I understand all this, since I have been there myself.
|  But you can learn how to paste  quick pre-written postings into
|  the forum, that you can compose offline.

But I can't read others' thoughts offline that way.  The fact is, I spend
little time on the Web not related to either my job, or getting smart on the
subject of the moment.  The mail list affords me the ability to read
messages (like this one!) off line on the train to or from work (or even at
work, if I'm careful and save them to send from home!).  The Web doesn't
give me that option yet, since I can't afford wireless, and coverage is not
continuous along my commute route.

|  It is the only place that gives every potential at-large member an easy
|  overview of  the topics that concern us and what our members have said.

Actually, other than timeliness of delivery, there's really little
difference beteween a Web forum and a mail list.  Outlook rules drop the
Discuss list messages into a separate folder, and Panel list messages in
another.  No work on my part.

|  Once it took me 4 hours of trickle to get my mail, my email
|  client became
|  useless and I had to access the web interface of my ISP to see my mail.

I've been there, but not recently (broadband is a wonderful thing!) :)

But when I was there, I had this tool called E-mail Remover that retreived
the headers from my POP server and deleted the ones I asked it to before I
opened Outlook to retreive them.  It's still arond, BTW: I just fixed up a
friend with it who's still on dial-up.

Point is, each of us has limiting factors in our lives that drive our
preferences.  There is room for both methods.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info