RE: [atlarge-discuss] Election Preparation

At 04:52 p.m. 18/04/2003, bruce@barelyadequate.info wrote:
Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

| I, for one, prefer the forum for these purposes...
| so much more
| convenient than downloading the oftentimes huge volume of email
| from this list
| (along with the spam that inevitably sneaks in too). In fact, I
| would say that if
| we want to be more efficient and low-bandwidth friendly, we
| stick to the online
| forum entirely for these purposes.

I, on the other hand, prefer the e-mail forum, since I don't have to be connected to view messages. This is important in my life, since between work, school and the DAV, I not home very long during the week (except to sleep!), and my employer frowns on using the computers at work for personal use (and is tracking network usage to curb such behavior!). So the e-mail messages give me the freedom to read from my PDA when I'm commuting, or from a laptop computer when I'm on the road.
Bruce,

I understand all this, since I have been there myself.
But you can learn how to paste quick pre-written postings into the forum, that you can compose offline. (That also gives that extra pause that helps people to make better postings.)
The forum will send you an email message when someone replies to your post (if you set it to).

It is the only place that gives every potential at-large member an easy overview of the topics that concern us and what our members have said.

The mailing list archives just cannot give that overview .

As an aside, I have seen too many ICANN -related ML archives being shut down to feel entirely comfortable with a tool that is not under our democratic control.
List-owner should be a public, elective office, with rules about back-ups.

Have also a thought for those members who get an average of 100 spam messages per day and who have to suffer 24Kb/s bandwidth or less when they travel.
Once it took me 4 hours of trickle to get my mail, my email client became useless and I had to access the web interface of my ISP to see my mail.

If we want to broaden participation, we *have* to use the web for what it offers.

-joop-