Re: [atlarge-discuss]

At 21:33 -0400 2003/04/29, Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. wrote:
>Sorry to interrupt this discussion about paypal, but, I am unsure of
>what
>the point is. Is it possible for someone to post a clear statement as
>where the group is in its organizational effort?

This group has not yet articulated a clear statement of
purpose to be put to its membership or defined its own
structure, membership criteria, agenda, plans, etc.
Various people have made various kinds of contributions
on these subjects but the former Panel was unable or
unwilling to agree on a manner of proceeding in an
orderly fashion towards any goal. It would be reasonable
to say that after almost a year it is still in the early
pre-start-up phase.

>The e-mail discussions seem a bit scrambled.

Indeed! This group, after some discussion, started moving
towards a much-needed election of a new Interim Panel
which might be able to do better. At that point, several
members have expressed strong feelings about
- the manner in which the election should be conducted,
- whether anyone is legitimately entitled to organize it,
- whether the existing membership may be legitimately used
  to contact members and tell them it's happening
- whether any/some/all of the registered members should be
  permitted to vote, given that their true identities have
  not been externally verified and some of them haven't
  posted anything on this list or in the forum at
  icannatlarge.com
so we're in the midst of the nomination period but people
are still arguing about the validity of the process.

>Who is currently leading this effort? How many people are on
>this list? Why does it seem as if nothing is being accomplished?

See above. That's why I quit last week, though I can't
resist hanging around to see what will actually come of
it all.

HTH,

Judyth

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>