[atlarge-discuss] UC Berkeley bars students arriving from SARS-affected nations

All,

  For those attending the Montreal ICANN meeting be aware.

FYI:
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 10:34:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <jhall@astron.Berkeley.EDU>
To: Dave Farber <dave@farber.net>, Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: SARS policy at UC Berkeley...

Declan and Dave,

This, in itself, is probably not politech- or IP-worthy but I thought
you two should get a heads up.

It turns out that UC Berkeley will not allow any students from SARS
affected countries to attend summer school... it seems that it has to
do with liability.  That is, if they were to allow a student to come
who later turned out to be infected with SARS, an "elaborate isolation
procedure" would have to be initiated... and the University doesn't
have the resources for this.  Here is the direct quote (full
bulletin attached below):

---
**Summer Session Students Arriving from Universities in Hong Kong,
Taiwan, People's Republic of China and Singapore (see footnote):

After close consultation with several public health officials and
campus experts, and based on the strong recommendation of the City of
Berkeley Health Officer, I deeply regret that we will not be accepting
enrollments of students from these areas.  We look forward to the
lifting of the CDC travel advisories so that we can once again welcome
all of these students to our campus. Several hundred students will be
affected by this decision.  Their fees will be fully refunded.  Our
reasoning for this decision is as follows.  All of these students
would have to be monitored for a ten-day period.  Should any of them
develop SARS related symptoms, the CDC requires that elaborate
procedures be implemented that would include isolation and other labor
intensive measures that we are not able to provide currently.  If the
CDC lifts the travel advisories to these areas, then this policy would
no longer be in force.
---

This seems to not be the full story as tourists and such from affected
countries are not denied entry into the Bay Area... specifically, the
University seems to not even want to take a chance on plausible
alternatives such as requiring the students to come to the US ten days
early and stay in a hotel (instead of the dorms).  Further, some are
thinking that this may even violate California's Propostion 209 which
reads (in part):

SEC. 31. (a) The state shall not discriminate against, or grant
preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race,

sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public
employment, public education, or public contracting.

take care,
Joe

Joseph Lorenzo Hall                     jhall@astro.berkeley.edu
Graduate Student                        astron.berkeley.edu/~jhall
Astronomy Department
601 Campbell Hall                       voice: (510) 643-8592
University of California at Berkeley    fax  : (510) 642-3411
Berkeley, CA 94720-3411                 face : 753B Campbell

"The human population does not double every 18 months, but its ability
to use computers to keep track of us does. You can't encrypt your
face." -- Phil Zimmermann; http://news.com.com/2100-1009-998728.html