Re: [atlarge-discuss] My message

DATE: Sat, 24 May 2003 12:25:17
From: Sotiris Sotiropoulos <sotiris@hermesnetwork.com>

>Who are you and where have you been on this (or any other related list)
>prior to your being nominated?  Do you even know what ICANN is?
>
>--Sotiris Sotiropoulos

sotiris,

i feel very strongly against the way some people here are treating "newbie" candidates, however new they are, like they don't even deserve to be considered. i have tried to stay away from commenting but your question makes it unavoidable.

i understand you have been with @large for quite a while. perhaps that means you know icann more. perhaps that means you understand @large more. that's a big perhaps because, clearly, that's non-sequitor. it does not follow.

my understanding of @large is that it is this noble cause of giving internet users effective participation in internet "governance". that is why we call it @large. we are aiming to empower all the internet users out there.

empowerment is nothing strange. it means giving persons some say in matters which affect them. we cannot even hope to do that with internet users if there is this feeling in the group that we already know enough: if there is this feeling that the "expertise" of the oldtimers here can even match the wisdom arrived at through the meaningful participation of say, a hundred thousand more internet users.

yes, some people may not have been around for long. but, me in particular, have been around enough to see the endless quarrels on the list, the rudeness with which some people have been treating "newbie" candidates who probably just accepted their nomination in the hope of being able to contribute, and the organization's continuing failure to muster substantial participation of internet users, particularly, those in developing countries like the philippines. i feel that gives me a right to speak up.

as i wrote, my message is inclusion. an atmosphere of openness must prevail in this organization if we are to hope of achieving what @large ought to be. that's a message, not a campaign slogan. i don't really care if i get elected or not. (though i will take the responsibilities to heart if i will be.) please open your eyes to the "possibility" that some of us "newbie" candidates may be merely here to contribute, if not as worthy candidates for the panel elections, as ordinary members contributing to the discourse.

good day from quezon city, philippines. it is not some "crack".

gilbert
---
Gilbert E. Lumantao
200 Commonwealth Avenue
Quezon City 1101 Philippines
Mobile No. 63-918-9387793
Email Address: gilbert.lumantao@mailcity.com
Website: http://www.batasayti.freeservers.com
---

"Plan for what is difficult while it is easy, do what is great while it is small. The most difficult things in the world must be done while they are still easy, the greatest things in the world must be done while they are still small. For this reason sages never do what is great, and this is why they can achieve that greatness." - Attributed by Sun Tzu to warriors of ancient times.