Re: [atlarge-discuss] How policy really gets made...

Danny and all fellow members,

  ICANN is not the whole Internet world.  Robert Layton knows
this full well or at least should know by now.  As you know Nancy
J Victory warned at the last renewal of ICANN's contract that the
ICANN BOD and staff must do the reaching out.  This of course
as you also know has not occurred.  Hence the gap in communications.

  As you also know or should know Danny a number of members
of this fledgling organization have tried to communicate with the DOC/NTIA
as well as ICANN BOD and staff members (See archives of this forum
for examples) and were ignored by in large.  Hence communications
is seemingly only a one way street.  This is yet another example of
poor communications on the part of the ICANN BOD and staff
in particular and the DOC/NTIA to a degree as well.

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Comments from newly elected ICANN director Mike Palage:
>
> "The participants in this meeting included: the CDT and EPIC two of the
> prominent players in connection with privacy rights, Steve Metalitz from the
> IPC, Becky Burr from Wilmer Cutler (she explained historical 99 contract
> negotiations and the current GNR Whois proposal); registrars in attendance
> were NSI, BulkRegister and MarkMoniter (GoDaddy was invited but unable to
> attend), the USPTO, the FTC, and myself.
>
> Regarding meetings in DC they happen on a regular basis and I am not even
> invited to some of them :-) By way of example a couple of weeks ago, Paul
> Twomey was in DC. During the day he had a "meeting" with Brian Cute, Elana
> Briotman, and Donna McGehee. Later in the evening there was a welcome
> "reception" for Paul Twomey at AT&T offices in which if I remember correctly
> Elliot Noss (TUCOWS) was one of the co-sponsors of that event. At that
> "reception" Paul Stahura and Ross Rader were some of the additional
> registrars that were in attendance.
>
> This highlights a culture in which some big registrars tend to gravity
> toward Washington in an attempt to curry favor among some of the decision
> makers. Surprise, surprise. This does not even taken into account the
> regular number of times that some of these larger registrars call Robin
> Layton and other DoC/NTIA members on the phone".
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc02/msg01282.html
>
> ----------
>
> If icannatlarge ever hopes to become an effective organization, it will need
> to begin to learn to "interact" in order to properly advocate for the
> At-Large.  The other day, I spent close to half an hour on the phone with NTIA's Robin
> Layton, the US GAC representative.  I encourage others in this group to
> similarly reach out and to communicate with those decisionmakers and lobbyists
> whose views continue to shape the future of At-Large involvement.
>
> Progress begins by showing up at meetings and communicating with others...
> how many of the current candidates will commit to showing up in Montreal?  How
> many have ever attended a prior ICANN session?

    Pierre Abelard