Re: [atlarge-discuss] How policy really gets made...

This is important and very true.
How bad that our most able, expeimented and active man on the spot refuses to be a Member.
Danny would you at least share into an us@large PAC or WG?
jfc

n 03:37 25/05/03, DannyYounger@cs.com said:

Comments from newly elected ICANN director Mike Palage:

"The participants in this meeting included: the CDT and EPIC two of the
prominent players in connection with privacy rights, Steve Metalitz from the
IPC, Becky Burr from Wilmer Cutler (she explained historical 99 contract
negotiations and the current GNR Whois proposal); registrars in attendance
were NSI, BulkRegister and MarkMoniter (GoDaddy was invited but unable to
attend), the USPTO, the FTC, and myself.

Regarding meetings in DC they happen on a regular basis and I am not even
invited to some of them :-) By way of example a couple of weeks ago, Paul
Twomey was in DC. During the day he had a "meeting" with Brian Cute, Elana
Briotman, and Donna McGehee. Later in the evening there was a welcome
"reception" for Paul Twomey at AT&T offices in which if I remember correctly
Elliot Noss (TUCOWS) was one of the co-sponsors of that event. At that
"reception" Paul Stahura and Ross Rader were some of the additional
registrars that were in attendance.

This highlights a culture in which some big registrars tend to gravity
toward Washington in an attempt to curry favor among some of the decision
makers. Surprise, surprise. This does not even taken into account the
regular number of times that some of these larger registrars call Robin
Layton and other DoC/NTIA members on the phone".
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc02/msg01282.html

If icannatlarge ever hopes to become an effective organization, it will need
to begin to learn to "interact" in order to properly advocate for the
At-Large. The other day, I spent close to half an hour on the phone with NTIA's Robin
Layton, the US GAC representative. I encourage others in this group to
similarly reach out and to communicate with those decisionmakers and lobbyists
whose views continue to shape the future of At-Large involvement.

Progress begins by showing up at meetings and communicating with others...
how many of the current candidates will commit to showing up in Montreal? How
many have ever attended a prior ICANN session?