Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: Jeff Williams is a lying newbie

Dear Holger:

you wrote:

> You may feel that you are the White Knight defending a noble cause (the
> protection of "new members") but you are wasting your time and the time of
> everyone that reads your JW bashing posts.  Please take your battle
> off-list.

"Do you really think we should let Jeff run wild?"

Holger:
I think that Jeff Williams is an individual, just like you or me, and that
he has a right to post to any un-moderated (read un-censored) list.  Many do
not read his posts, they simply filter them out.  In doing so, they avoid
the rancor and much of the distasteful rhetoric, but they also miss the
nuggets of wisdom and historical reference that lie hidden in the mounds of
tailing.  It is a personal decision.

Everyone has filters and every keyboard that I know of, has a delete button.
My only concern with people who post unreasonably often or with off-topic
subjects, is the burden that it places on the large number of users who have
to pay for download bandwidth that they cannot afford. This is the greatest
problem with spam, it is likely to make the Internet unusable for people
with marginal access.  Aren't these the very people that we purport to
represent?

Think about it this way, since you have devoted 80% of your on-list time to
arguing with Jeff Williams, and since he will always respond to your posts,
I am placed in the position where I have to plow through 120 messages just
to read the fifteen that you have posted that are related to current issues.
If this metric applies to 1000 members (and I hope our list soon grows to 10
times that number) you have just caused 120,000 wasted message reads (this
scales to 1.2 million on a10,000 member list). Is this really in the best
interests of list members?  Especially new members.

Best regards, Ron

P.S. your reference to Jeff Williams as a "lying newbie" is hardly accurate
since he has been here longer than almost anyone else.

RS