Re: [atlarge-discuss] Some points of view - Limits and common sense

Richard and all fellow members,

Richard Henderson wrote:

> I think it's fair to say that English is emerging as the dominant world
> language in the world today, but that gives English-speakers all the more
> responsibility to respect and protect the interests and needs of the
> majority of people in the world for whom English is most certainly not their
> first language. Clearly, at an early stage, our own websites should offer at
> least limited information in a wide range of other languages.

  I agree with your thought and intention here by in large, so to speak
Richard.  I am sure most thoughtful english first language speakers
do as well.  However this does not address the comments/remarks
to which I posted and you responded to here, from below.

> With power comes responsibility (and, ideally, accountability).

  Very much agreed.  However as the members of ICANNATLARGE.ORG
presently have no power of any kind such a principal doesn't yet
apply.  Perhaps someday it shall.

> In my vision of the @large, as a network, local chapters and subdomains of
> our website would be in the language of the people involved in that locality
> (hopefully with a reciprocal translation in English); and on the 'common' or
> 'shared' pages (homepage etc) there would be a recognition that English is
> the default language, but with mirrored pages at the click of a button to
> Spanish, French, Chinese, etc etc etc

  Very much agreed here as well.  But again this comment does not
address my comments by in large below either.  However as
we also do not have the resources to effect this proper view to date,
and the fact as Sotiris pointed out that English is the internationally
recognized language, we must first and foremost conduct our
deliberations, discussions, and debates on this forum in english,
or the poster whom is not a native english speaker that has
trouble with doing so, should provide without condescending
precursors, the english version of his/her post.

> Communication on a day-to-day basis within working groups or the panel is
> more of a challenge, and the experience of the past year has shown we should
> not underestimate the potential for misunderstanding.

  Agreed.  And using the international language of English aids greatly
in limiting such misunderstandings.

> With co-operation, we can unite users from all over the world. Without it,
> we remain fragmented and ineffectual.

  Very much agreed here as well.  As INEGroup learned as an organization
several years ago now, cooperation is a two way street, and creating
or promoting misunderstandings and/or poor communications in
the use of language or languages in discussions/diliberations/debates,
is a sure way of becoming ineffectual as well as distrustful.

> Richard Henderson

    Pierre Abelard