From: "Gilbert Estillore Lumantao" <gilbert.lumantao@lycos.com>
To: "'A/S Mauro D. Ríos'" <mdrios@adinet.com.uy>
Cc: "'atlarge discuss list'" <atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>; "'J-F C.
(Jefsey) Morfin'" <jefsey@club-internet.fr>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 3:38 PM
Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] méthodes de travail normales

> mauro,
>
> i support your views. you represent what i believe @large should be. i see
in your posts respect for the opinion of others, sensitivity to the needs of
the many internet users out there who are not native-english speakers, and
courage, despite the fact that many flags have been waved to discourage your
participation.

> i remember there was the issue of "experience" or "being with the group
for some time" which to me seems to translate to having been active in the
mailing list before you have accepted nomination. then there was the
"paypal" requirement. i'm lucky they did not ask it from me because my
internet use have so far not involved using a paypal account, whatever that
is. as for now, the only pal i know is philippine airlines. they actually
even requested people to use the account by sending a dollar. the absurdity
of it all is that we seek to organize many internet users who in most
likelihood have not heard of paypal.

> now someone is waving the flag of english language. first, i have to say
your posts have been understandable enough for me. i come from a country
where, even though english is a medium of instruction, kids grow up speaking
filipino dialects (at least most of us). we are particularly fond of our
"carabao" english. to hear someone in this group say that you cannot even
think of "leading" just because your english (or so he says) is not
understandable enough for him is disheartening. again, we come back to the
fact that this organization does not seek to involve and/or represent only
internet users of the likes of him, but also internet users from our own
parts of the world.

> to say that english has been the language of discussions in icann is
incorrect. i have been to two icann sessions and i quite clearly remember
that spanish speaking directors many a times opted to speak in spanish
during the meetings and the rest of the people in attendance did not quite
mind. even if the claim is correct, we all know that should not be. Of all
organizations related with icann, @large should be the most concerned in
correcting that.

> the issue of legitimacy was also raised. if i understand it correctly,
they are saying that @large will not be able to achieve legitimacy if its
going to be led by "relative unknowns". forgotten is the fact that @large,
with all the "expertise" of the pioneers here have and with all the "time
and effort" they have exerted, can never achieve legitimacy without the
meaningful and substantial participation of internet users from all parts of
the globe. surprising as it may seem, people have been busy in discouraging
such participation.

> you have my vote. i am sorry i voted also for people who, after a few
posts, i realized are incapable of working with you. or better yet,
incapable of working in an @large deserving of its name and purpose.

> gilbert
>

> ---
> Gilbert E. Lumantao
> 200 Commonwealth Avenue
> Quezon City 1101 Philippines
> Mobile No. 63-918-9387793
> Email Address: gilbert.lumantao@mailcity.com
> Website: http://www.batasayti.freeservers.com
> ---
>
> "Plan for what is difficult while it is easy, do what is great while it is
small. The most difficult things in the world must be done while they are
still easy, the greatest things in the world must be done while they are
still small. For this reason sages never do what is great, and this is why
they can achieve that greatness." - Attributed by Sun Tzu to warriors of
ancient times.

<atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>,"'J-F C. \(Jefsey\) Morfin'"
<jefsey@club-internet.fr>

> >Sotiris:
> >
> >You wrote:
> >> I am not berating anyone for speaking/writing another language.  I am
> >> questioning the ability of anyone who doesn't have a firm grasp of
> >> English to communicate effectively and succintly as a panel member of
> >> this organization.
> >
> >Sotiris, you made it very clear that you are not happy with Jefsey's
command
> >of the English language, yet I fear that without Jefsey's will to
overcome
> >this constraint despite the ridicule with which you have attempted to
clothe
> >him, we would not even have the momentum that we have now.  I applaud his
> >will, his ability to resist your barbs, and his courage in this effort to
> >get a new group of people to move our @Large organization forward.  I
cannot
> >accept your reasoning that only you, and your choice of candidates, is
good
> >enough to become the Panel.  If you are not prepared to work with the
best
> >that we can find, simply because it will mean a little extra effort on
your
> >part to communicate with others, then you are the wrong person for the
job.

> >We all wish that there were a hundred top notch, multi-lingual candidates
> >vying for a place on the Panel... but there are not.  Some of us believe
> >that the antics and the attitudes of previous panel members are, in large
> >part, responsible for that state of affairs.  However, we have to move
> >forward with what we have now.  Please recognize that your experience,
your
> >visibility and your belief in the need for (and the future of) @large
> >representation, make you the hands down favorite for top vote getter.
That
> >does not give you the right to dictate who is elected... It does,
however,
> >give you the responsibility of doing everything possible to work with the
> >other elected Panelists.  That will probably mean that you have to hone
your
> >exceptional language skills so that you can communicate well with each of
> >the Panelist.  I am glad that you have those skills, but I am concerned
that
> >you will allow your demonstrated antipathy override your
responsibilities.