-----Mensaje original-----
De: Jeff Williams [mailto:jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com]
Enviado el: Martes, 27 de Mayo de 2003 06:17 p.m.
Para: Ron Sherwood
CC: Sotiris Sotiropoulos; Jeff Holt; 'A/S Mauro D. Ríos'; 'atlarge
discuss list'; 'J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin'
Asunto: Re: [atlarge-discuss] méthodes de travail normales

Ron and all fellow members,

  I think you misunderstood Sotiris's concern.  It was not with
Jefsey's command of the english languageorlack there of, rather
his concern was and is with the fact that a candidate
A/S Mauro D. Ríos, cannot communicate in English
and does not wish to provide a english translation of
his posts or communication what so ever.  This would
make A/S Mauro D. Ríos an ineffective future panel
member as Sotiris contends,  IMHO as well.

Ron Sherwood wrote:

> Sotiris:
>
> You wrote:
> > I am not berating anyone for speaking/writing another language.  I am
> > questioning the ability of anyone who doesn't have a firm grasp of
> > English to communicate effectively and succintly as a panel member of
> > this organization.
>
> Sotiris, you made it very clear that you are not happy with Jefsey's
command
> of the English language, yet I fear that without Jefsey's will to overcome
> this constraint despite the ridicule with which you have attempted to
clothe
> him, we would not even have the momentum that we have now.  I applaud his
> will, his ability to resist your barbs, and his courage in this effort to
> get a new group of people to move our @Large organization forward.  I
cannot
> accept your reasoning that only you, and your choice of candidates, is
good
> enough to become the Panel.  If you are not prepared to work with the best
> that we can find, simply because it will mean a little extra effort on
your
> part to communicate with others, then you are the wrong person for the
job.

> We all wish that there were a hundred top notch, multi-lingual candidates
> vying for a place on the Panel... but there are not.  Some of us believe
> that the antics and the attitudes of previous panel members are, in large
> part, responsible for that state of affairs.  However, we have to move
> forward with what we have now.  Please recognize that your experience,
your
> visibility and your belief in the need for (and the future of) @large
> representation, make you the hands down favorite for top vote getter.
That
> does not give you the right to dictate who is elected... It does, however,
> give you the responsibility of doing everything possible to work with the
> other elected Panelists.  That will probably mean that you have to hone
your
> exceptional language skills so that you can communicate well with each of
> the Panelist.  I am glad that you have those skills, but I am concerned
that
> you will allow your demonstrated antipathy override your responsibilities.
>
> Please say it is not so.
>
> Ron

    Pierre Abelard

---