Re: [atlarge-discuss] ELECTION REPORT

I agree that any process of polling which empowered the membership to define
policy would also need safeguards such as minimum number of voting
participants to validate the poll. I would suggest that an appropriate
minimum would be in the region of the number of members who actually voted
in a panel election.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting the members get polled on dotting every
*i* and crossing every *t*... the panel would be elected to work
intelligently along the defined tramlines set out by a polled membership.

Basically, our previous panel stalled because it could not agree on a
clearly defined mission statement... within the panel there was no agreement
on 'who we were', 'what we were about', and 'where we were going'. This
resulted in inertia.

What is needed is to establish clearly what the membership itself defines as
its mission, its objectives, etc. Total authority must be given to the
membership, and the power to *veto* panel actions which diverge from the
democratic will. Within that authority, the panel can then get on and work
productively as servants, with the polled Membership periodically prodding
them, re-directing them, and if necessary vetoing them.

The previous panel refused to embrace the expressed democratic wishes of the
Membership, as expressed in a polling process which involved more members
than actually voted in panel elections. Various panelists had their own
agendas. From now on, the Membership itself should be empowered to vote and
define.

That's basically all I'm asking for.

The panelists are protectors of the will of the people, and servants of the
will of the people. They are not governors who can 'top down' reject what
the membership defines.

This new balance of power would render the vagaries and disputes of
panelists far less damaging, because in the last resort the membership would
get its way.

We would not have to wait a whole year to elect someone else. Periodically
(each month or two) polling of members would enable the agenda (the clearly
defined agenda) to be kept on track.

The idea that, say, 20 members in a poll could hijack the agenda would of
course be totally unacceptable. Experience to date with Joop's poll suggests
that as many people will vote for important issues as will vote for
panelists... and if they don't, then the vote wouldn't be binding.

Richard H