RE: [atlarge-discuss] ELECTION REPORT

Though I expressed being in favour of a polling committee, albeit under
the responsibility of the panel, and I can see the urgency to making
this a part of the statute for this organization, I do wonder what is
expected of this new panel and in what amount of time, seeing that some
want only a panel for 3 months.

But that aside your posting comes back to a theme that can make or break
this organization.
What you are saying is that "every" decision taken by the new panel
"can" be overturned by the membership, something I can agree to
providing that there are enough safeguards to make this impossible for a
"relative small" group to accomplish.

I am in favour of polling the members, definitely, though we need to
structure rules for polling and the graduations of polling first, I said
that in an earlier post. But let's also face one or two facts of life:
we are electing an 11 member panel, by the looks of the current scores
on % of votes for #11. we are electing these people for a reason;
because we believe that such a new panel can organise us and lead us to
where we want to go. Now I did not emphasize "lead us" perhaps I should
have, but I do think that a panel with NO function whatsoever can just
as well not exist.
I do agree that in most cases the panel will propose to the membership
to endorse her actions, but certainly the initial election is an action
of endorsement as well.

Surely you can not be saying that 1 or even 20 members can decide to
overturn a decision?
Surely you are not saying that daily official votes should be held to
confirm every decision the panel makes? The fact gathering and decision
process alone for "any" decision in that case can be 6 months or more!

I wholeheartedly agree with frequent polling, I wholeheartedly agree
with the right of the memebership to kick a panel out, even a specific
member, but all for good reasons and after serious debate and started on
the grounds that there is a likelyhood of success in overturning the
decision of kicking out the panel.

Setting minimum numbers of votes makes that a vote should be more then a
poll, which does not leave ot the option of a official vote after a poll
gives indication, but minimum numbers should be established in such
cases.

There is a balance in it all we surely need to find without wrecking the
organization before it is grown up.

Regards

Abel