RE: [atlarge-discuss] Ballot questions

Joanna Lane wrote:

| Given that two of the three members on the Polling Committee
| arguably speak
| fluent English (or American at least),  it's quite obvious
| that this was
| drafted by the one non-native English speaker amongst them, then sent
| without prior approval by the Polling Committee as a whole. Why?

I was out of town at a conference the week Jefsey collated the questions.  I
had intended to help with that process, but was unable to do so, due to work
commitments, before the ballots had to be out.

The fact is, even if I had helped collate them, we would still likely be
fielding complaints of suspected bias in some other direction from someone
else.  That seems to be the norm with this group, and that's OK.  We don't
need sheep!  But the questions poted are those the members asked, and only
those.

Understand that these questions are not the last time we will discuss any of
these issues.  They were just intended to give the in-comming Panel members'
some guidance as to the membership's concensus on issues dear to their
hearts (since they took the time to submit them!).  Any policies that
eventually come out of these questions, and the hopefully constructive
conversations they engender, will likely be beaten around extensively in
this forum, and would rightfully have to be approved by another
membership-wide election.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon
bruce@barelyadequate.info