Re: [atlarge-discuss] The Rights and Responsibilities of Voting...

Bruce and all fellow members,

bruce@barelyadequate.info wrote:

> This is a general response to this thread:
>
> Richard, Walter and several others seem to think that, because the
> membership has not submitted nominees that meet *their* personal idea of
> adequacy, that the election must needs be suspended or cancelled.

  No this is not the most or even broadly stated reason at all Bruce.
Where on earth did you get such an idea?!

>  Sorry
> guys, but the membership chose who they chose.

  The membership choose no such a thing!  See archives.  Jefsey
nominated along with Joop almost every candidate.  The Jefsey-election
was operated, orchestrated and imposed upon the members WIHTHOUT
their prior approval with your and Eric's help.  This is an remains
unethical, illegitimate and just plain wrong.  Hence Walter is in part
quite right.

>  Just because you don't
> recognize all the names doesn't invalidate them.

  True any member regardless of tenure as a member should be able
to become a candidate when and IF we have a voting mechanism that
the members can be safe and secure in using and is approved by the
members prior to it's use.  the Jefsey-election illegitimate and unethical
process now being hoist upon this membership does not meet the
basic democratic criterion and was NOT approved by the membership.

>  In fact, the very fact
> that we do have a large number of new faces on the candidates' list is as
> much an indightment of the old guard as it is an indoresement of alternative
> voices.  I we are truely to be a DEMOCRACY, we must respect the members'
> choices, and submit them to the membership for a vote, and back up their
> chosen leaders.

  Yes we the members MUST respect the membership as a whole
must respect the members choices. The Jefsey-election did not and has
not done that in that Jefsey's election process/method was NOT the
members choice.  It is a farce and sham!

> I also notice that those that claim a language other than English as their
> mother tongue seem to be getting the bulk of the grief.  Why is that?  Is
> there some underlying prejudice at work here?
>
> As for cancelling the election: several months ago, a faction of the
> membership that is active in our e-mail and/or Web forums -- which I again
> must point out make up only a small percentage of our actual membership!  --
> clamored for an election after this organization was thrown into anarchy by
> the dissertion of our Panel Chair into the hands of the enemy, and the
> abandonment of their responsibility by the majority of our remaining Panel
> members.  The aternative to continuing with elections is to descend back
> into the anarchy that existed at that time.  I for one don't want to see
> this organization fail merely because a handful of disgruntled old-timers
> are unhappy with the choices the other 800+ members made!
>
> Bruce Young
> Portland, Oregon
> bruce@barelyadequate.info
> http://www.barelyadequate.info