[atlarge-discuss] ICANNAtlarge trademark infringement (was LET'S GET GOING: Determininga Chair forthePanel)

This is now a separate thread. Comments below.

> From: Richard Henderson [mailto:richardhenderson@ntlworld.com]
>> OK
>
> Let's have another vote then.
>
> Question:
>
> Would you rather another name instead of Icannatlarge.org for our
> organisation?
>
> YES:
> NO:
>
> And stick it in the next Poll
> (Be a good idea to do it *before* we start outreach and
> interacting with the
> media though!)
>
> If the response is YES, we'd rather another name, then we know it won by
> default and we vote on a new option.
>
> What's the point of having a name people don't really want?
>

> Richard H

Absolutely, but the membership is not properly informed about this issue,
and such a simple question needs an explanation as to why there is a need
for change, or they may resist change on principal -  as unimportant - time
wasting - unnecessary ego trip - already decided - and so on.

The important thing to appreciate is that it is not you and I, nor the rest
of the membership who would get sued personally for trademark infringement,
that is one of the privileges won by the Panelists...:-)    Hence, with
respect to this particular matter, it ought to be a Panel decision that the
membership cannot override. If not, it leaves the Panel nowhere to go for
protection if the membership determine to keep ICANN in the name, save to
resign, which is exactly what happened to me. I had no choice to run in this
election and I'd like to se that barrier to entry removed so that everyone
can have the option to participate fully without having to put their
personal assets on the line and risk losing them.

To recap, I have no problem with the question, but there has to be some
explanation on the ballot as to why ICANNatlarge is a problem in the first
place. Somewhere in the archives from last year there is a succinct
explanation by John Berryhill that we could use. If those who feel strongly
that ICANNATLarge should be retained, also put their case on the ballot,
that's fine, but I can't wait to see how a name that contains somebody
else's trademark can be justified, especially when you don't have a license
to use it.

Joanna