RE: [atlarge-discuss] Apology and Explanation for Joop

Richard Henderson wrote:

| Only about 20% of our registered members participated in last week's
| election too...

Indeed.  But 100% of them were contacted.  Joop contacted no one to report
the existance of the poll.  And even if he did, he isn't the keeper of the
official mailing list, nor should he be.

| The other interesting thing was that people expressed
| readiness to continue
| using the Poll on a regular basis.

Of course.  The same ones who preferred it in th past prefer it now.
Circular logic.  Proves nothing.

| The real issue is how to give the Poll (a) enhanced
| credibility (b) a formal constitutional role

Yes.  That is what I've been saying all along.  But Joop has never been
willing to give up control.  As long as it is hosted on a site he controls,
and has no oversight, it is not trustworthy.

| Joop's Poll was a brave voice representing the actual
| opinions of actual
| members, at a time when the Panel was inert and in danger of
| hijacking this
| organisation to ICANNland and ALAC.

I don't disagree.  I only say that, as currently implemented, it is not a
valid source for determining the genuine concensus of the membership.

| If you had a vote today and asked:
|
| "Do you support a regular (once a month) Poll?"
|
| I am convinced the majority of members would say "Yes."

Actually we asked that during the election, and you're right.  And I was one
of the opnes voting for it. I'm all for the idea of a monthly poll.  I'm
just oppposed to using Joop's system, as currently implemented.

| This does not mean micro-management... this means real
| grassroots democratic involvement, instead of just
| delegating and saying, "Oh well, the panel will
| be accountable at the next election".

I don't disagree here either.  But there is a lot of work that needs to go
on between polls, and the Panel members need to be empowered to do that
work.

Actually, Richard, I don't think we're that far off in our thinking.  It's
just that you're talking broad-brush concepts, while I, as the techie I am,
am looking beyond that to the much-messier world of actually implementing
the concepts.

One of the few crystal-clear mandates we have from the membership is that
ICANNATLARGE.ORG is to be our official voice.  However, so far Joop has been
unwilling to accept this and continues to run his own parallel operation
that many members mistake for us!  Richard, since you have emerged as the
primary champion of Joop's polling system (other than Joop himself!) perhaps
you should approach him and ask him the following:

	1.  Is he willing to move his Polling Booth to ICANNATLARGE.ORG and allow
two or more technically-qualified members access to monitor the system
during polls, to ensure things aren't being manipulated.

	2.  Is he willing to agree that the only polling questions asked on his
system are to be developed via a polling committee of some sort after broad
discussion by the membership?

	3.  Is he willing to cease all e-mailing of the membership on his own
behalf?  All messages going to the membership should be sent out through
official channels only, in whatever manner the membership decides those are
configured.

	4.  Is he willing (and here's the big one!) to turn ICANNATLARGE.COM into a
redirector to ICANNATLARGE.ORG, and cease publishing online as if he
officially represents this organization?  I would even strongly support him
as Webmaster for the ICANNATLARGE.ORG site if he were to do this.

If he is willing to do these things in the best interests of the
organization, then I have no problem with using his Polling Booth.  But as
long as he continues to run in parallel with us, publishing things and
conducting polls to further his own agenda, I cannot support using his
system.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon
bruce@barelyadequate.info