RE: [atlarge-discuss] ICANNAtlarge trademark infringement (was LET'S GET GOING: Determining a Chair forthePanel)

Joop Teernstra wrote:

| Do you really see Paul Twomey allowing ICANN actually sue the
| organizations that watch it or consist of people who wanted
| to be its *members*??

Maybey.  Maybe not.  Dependfs on how much of a threat we become to them!
However, I remember Joanna being threatened by lawyers while serving as
Panel Chair, and at the time she was a Resident Alien (the US name for a
citizen of a foreign land with permission to live and work here), and as
such, her continued residency could have been revoked by the INS for merely
being *accused* of violating the law.  So her actions at the time, to step
down from office, were wholly appropriate: no one should be asked to put the
welfare of their career and family in jeopardy for this organization!  If I
had been in her circumstances I would probably have done the same!

| Is ICANN a company, that needs to sell its products and is damaged by
| competitors passing off its name?
| Or is ICANN providing functions that have a large public element?

They don't have to be either of those things.  If they have registered a
trademark for their acronym they can go to court over it.

| Tell that to icannWatch and all the others.

They are aware.  In fact one of the guys from there (I forget who now!) even
joined in on the conversation.

| Let ICANN bring on the lawsuits.

That's easy for you to say, Joop.  You apparently can afford the legal bills
if their suits come to call!  But as I stated above, Joanna had much more to
lose than just a lawsuit.  And given my budget, if I were sued I'd probably
have to fold as well, unless I could find a rich patron to fund my case!
Interested?  :)

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon, USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info