Re: [atlarge-discuss] FW: Provisional Membership Committee- REPORT Part 1

Good evening, Joanna:

Thank you for your careful analysis of the PMC report and the conclusions
that you draw.

I did not realize that your previous report was in fact a "draft" for
markup.  Although on re-reading it I note that you had written "thanks for
the feedback".

As you will see from the membership committee correspondence, most of the 24
hours was spent with very few members in attendance.  I asked for a
chairperson, Sotiris proposed a chairperson, his proposal was seconded, but
in discussion it was stated that we had no need for such an office because
of the small number of participants and the short duration of our mandate.
I, by default, attempted to bring some order and action to the committee.
Some members actively addressed the issues while others spent their time
questioning the legality of what we were doing, wanting to re-verify the
membership of the committee and addressing other matters outside of our
mandate.

After getting little accomplished, I suggested that since the Panel was in
session and had greater access to the input of the eleven Panel members than
we did, that we simply report our areas of concern to the Panel and suggest
that the Panel, with its validated authority, demand that its members comply
with the three simple requirements of: validation, commitment and
introduction to the membership.  I asked for a vote on this issue and the
response was that nothing could be proposed or seconded or even discussed
without a chairperson. Not even the proposal or seconding of a chairperson.
This behavior is not untypical of the membership of this organization, but
makes progress very difficult.

I then suggested a simple report as outlined above and asked for people to
respond with input (just as you did this morning, but more clearly and with
some urgency because of the minimal amount of time left to us).  Two members
responded with clear input and supportive votes.  Others declined to vote
and sign off on anything.  Based upon that I told the membership that I
would present the report as my understanding of what we had determined and
what our concerns were.  I had asked many times "Does any member of this
committee believe that a non-person has been elected to the Panel?"  Non
responded that they had that belief therefore I reported that the committee
believed that all elected Panelists were real persons.  We did not have the
time or the means of dealing with one Panelist who had not posted to any
forum. I also reported that fact.

The other two requirements remained unmet by some panelists and that too was
reported.  When I asked for people to sign off on the document.  There were
few who even responded to the request. When I asked for supportive or
negative votes I received two supportive votes and no negative votes.  This
was obviously insufficient to sign off on the document as the will of the
Panel, so I represented it as simply my report on what I perceived had
happened, and listed those committee members who had participated at some
point in the proceedings and those who had not.  I had absolutely no way of
knowing who was attending but not posting and who was not in attendance at
any particular time.  Only one attendee said he was to be away for 1 hour.
(It subsequently turned out that four hours later, after the session was
closed, he returned to complain that he did not agree with the report.)

The report was sent to all committee members for approval and modification
as appropriate. The document was modified to include _every_ response.  The
committee session was extended for 30 minutes beyond its mandated time in
order to accommodate the changes and the presentation of the final draft.
It was then sent to the Panel and to the discuss list.

The following morning, I found that some of the Panel members who had failed
to attend the latter part of the meeting had complained that they did not
agree with the report.  This included two who had attended and who's
eleventh hour comments had been added to the document as addenda.

Please note that none of the complainants had taken any kind of leadership
position in the committee meeting, nor had they proposed any kind of report.
No-one offered any alternative document. The members who actually attended
the meeting full time and had made positive contributions, were presumably
satisfied with the report to the extent that they made only positive changes
to it.

This was essentially an impossible task to complete. The best that could be
accomplished under the circumstances was the very limited report that you
are now able to use as a foundation for your fine and constructive analysis.

Please assume the chair of this committee, Joanna.  We need you.

Ron Sherwood