[atlarge-discuss] Re: [ga] RE: Who'se done it? .org IDNs killed

Bruce and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties

Bruce Beckwith wrote:

> Marc,
>
> I appreciate your frustration with the problems you're currently
> experiencing with your .org IDN domain, and because PIR policy prohibits
> discussing specific domain issues with anyone other than the registrant and
> registrar, I will not post the exact cause of the issues you're experiencing
> on these lists.

  Interesting policy.  Seems designed to not solve problems or solve
them equitably.  But given Don Heaths presence on PIR's board,
this is not surprising.

> I will send you our findings via a separate email.
>
> What I would like to remind you and the community about, however, is that
> when PIR assumed responsibility for the .org TLD, we made it clear to our
> registrar partners (for communication to their customers) that we would not
> support nor charge for existing IDN registrations, since they did not meet
> any industry-accepted standards.

  There are no industry excepted standards for IDN Bruce.

>  In short, IDN domain registrations are
> currently locked at the registry level, so that changes to the domain name
> record are not allowed.

  Good idea.  However what if the registrant needs or desires a
update to his/her registration?

> As noted by ICANN yesterday, PIR is one of the registries that will work
> within the IDN Guidelines produced.  As we determine how best to introduce
> IDN registrations that address the needs of the community, as well as how
> best to transition the existing legacy .org IDNs, we will be pleased to
> communicate our plans.

  Many existing IDN "Legacy" IDN registrations may not wish to
be "Transitioned" as you put it.  So how would such be serving
the public interest?

> Regards,
>
> Bruce
>
> Bruce W. Beckwith