[atlarge-discuss] E-voting flaws risk ballot fraud...

Folks -

More on a topic of importance to us all:

E-voting flaws risk ballot fraud

  http://www.msnbc.com/news/943558.asp?0cl=cR

Five quotes from the article:

Some versions of electronic voting software could allow for ballot fraud
on a massive scale, computer security researchers reported Thursday.

The stuff that we looked at is not something from which you could evolve a
secure system, Avi Rubin, technical director of Johns Hopkins Information
Security Institute, told MSNBC.com.

Among the issues highlighted were unauthorized privilege escalation,
incorrect use of cryptography, vulnerabilities to network threats, and
poor software development processes, they said.

Indeed, the bottom line for Jones as well as Rubin and other e-voting
skeptics is that any voting system should have a voter-verifiable paper
audit.

With the direct-reporting electronic system, where all these
questions about security actually touch on the authenticity of anything
the machine retains, we have nothing to fall back on, Jones said.

--

 ---  REgards, walts@dorsai.org  Walter C. Schmidt, IT CPA  Blue(^) ---
 - -   Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center Edition - HPMC 873n  ---