End to End

http://www.law.stanford.edu/e2e/

Towards the end, one member of the audience (and I do apologize
for not catching who it was), pulled everything together by
noting the convergence between end-to-end as a technological
issue, open access as an economic issue, and democracy and
public debate as a political issue. The idea of eliminating
"gatekeepers" on the internet is important for a great many
reasons, whether you look at it as a technological issue of
promoting progress and innovation, or as an economic issue
of fostering competition and preventing monopolies from abusing
their power, or as an issue of promoting free and unrestrained
speech on the communications media of the 21st century. This
is certainly one of the most important issues facing the country
today, but relatively few people know anything -- even a smidgeon
-- about it, or at most they've read a few news reports about
the AOL/Time Warner merger. I'm glad to see such a diverse
and intelligent group working on the issues, and if they don't
yet have all the answers, it's only because they want to get
it right.

--
Kristian Köhntopp, NetUSE AG Siemenswall, D-24107 Kiel
Tel: +49 431 386 436 00, Fax: +49 431 386 435 99