[FYI] (Fwd) FC: U.S. Chamber of Commerce opposes "cybercrime" treaty

Date sent:      	Sat, 09 Dec 2000 10:49:47 -0500
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: U.S. Chamber of Commerce opposes "cybercrime" treaty
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

*******
This press release came out yesterday. Background:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01136.html
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01431.html
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01553.html
*******

U.S. Chamber Opposes European Cyber Crime Treaty

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The United States Chamber of Commerce urged
Congress to prevent international action on cyber crime that would
hurt U.S. interests, saying the current draft of a Council of Europe
treaty could violate American consumers' rights and undermine economic
growth in this country's technology sector.

"The United States must not agree to any treaty that fails to protect
the rights of consumers and places unnecessary and costly burdens on
e-Commerce companies," said Rick Lane, Chamber Director of eCommerce
and Internet Technology.  "The treaty proposed by the Council of
Europe goes too far and could undermine the incredible growth we have
seen in electronic commerce."

Protecting America's technological infrastructure from cyber-terrorism
and computer hacking is critical to U.S. businesses that rely on the
Internet to buy and sell goods, according to the Chamber.  But the
Council of Europe Convention on Cyber Crime would impose unworkable
and possibly unlawful restrictions on the business practices of U.S.
firms.

"The Chamber is calling on Congress and the Department of Justice to
protect the growing Internet marketplace for consumers and
businesses," said Lane.  "We are reaching out to our business partners
around the world to warn them of the dangers presented by this
treaty."

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is the world's largest business
federation representing more than three million businesses and
organizations of every size, sector and region.

For More Information Call

Chamber Media Relations at 202-463-5682