[FYI] Stallman: Thousands Dead, Millions Deprived of Liberties

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/09/17/1758231&mode=nocomment

------------------------------ CUT -------------------------------

Stallman: Thousands Dead, Millions Deprived of Liberties

Posted by CmdrTaco on Monday September 17, @02:36PM from the well-
said-man dept.

Hobart noted that Richard Stallman has written a very well said piece
on the civil liberties that we will no doubt be deprived of following
the recent terrorist attacks on the US. I know RMS takes a lot of
heat for being out there sometimes, but this is a really well said
bit and worth a read.

Thousands dead, millions deprived of civil liberties?

By Richard Stallman

The worst damage from many nerve injuries is secondary -- it happens
in the hours after the initial trauma, as the body's reaction to the
damage kills more nerve cells. Researchers are beginning to discover
ways to prevent this secondary damage and reduce the eventual harm.

If we are not careful, the deadly attacks on New York and Washington
will lead to far worse secondary damage, if the U.S. Congress adopts
"preventive measures" that take away the freedom that America stands
for.

I'm not talking about searches at airports here. Searches of people
or baggage for weapons, as long as they check only for weapons and
keep no records about you if you have no weapons, are just an
inconvenience; they do not endanger civil liberties. What I am
worried about is massive surveillance of all aspects of life: of our
phone calls, of our email, and of our physical movements.

These measures are likely to be recommended regardless of whether
they would be effective for their stated purpose. An executive of a
company developing face recognition software is said to be telling
reporters that widespread deployment of face-recognizing computerized
cameras would have prevented the attacks. The September 15 New York
Times cites a congressman who is advocating this "solution." Given
that the human face recognition performed by the check-in agents did
not keep the hijackers out, there is no reason to think that computer
face recognition would help. But that won't stop the agencies that
have always wanted to do more surveillance from pushing this plan
now, and many other plans like it. To stop them will require public
opposition.

Even more ominously, a proposal to require government back doors in
encryption software has already appeared.

Meanwhile, Congress hurried to pass a resolution giving Bush
unlimited power to use military force in retaliation for the attacks.
Retaliation may be justified, if the perpetrators can be identified
and carefully targeted, but Congress has a duty to scrutinize
specific measures as they are proposed. Handing the president carte
blanche in a moment of anger is exactly the mistake that led the
United States into the Vietnam War.

Please let your elected representatives, and your unelected
president, know that you don't want your civil liberties to become
the terrorists' next victim. Don't wait -- the bills are already
being written.

Copyright 2001 Richard Stallman

Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article are
permitted in any medium provided the copyright notice and this notice
are preserved.