[FYI] (Fwd) Lawrence Lessig Answers - Slashdot interview

Date sent:      	Sun, 23 Dec 2001 18:01:15 -0500
Send reply to:  	Law & Policy of Computer Communications              <CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
From:           	Seth Finkelstein <sethf@MIT.EDU>
Subject:        	Lawrence Lessig Answers - Slashdot interview
To:             	CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

        This might be slightly old news, but it's very worthwhile. The
following is a *long* Q & A where Lessig addresses much (which should
be) topical for this list:

Lawrence Lessig Answers Your Questions
http://slashdot.org/interviews/01/12/21/155221.shtml

        Highly recommended. I wanted to stand up and cheer at certain
        parts.

  "Yet these debates about freedom get bogged down on these pages. And
   this leads me to the greatest pessimism: If you guys don't get the
   importance of neutral and open platforms to innovation and
   creativity; if you get bogged down in 20th century debates about
   libertarianism and property rights; if you can't see how the
   .commons was critical to the .com revolution, then what do expect
   from judges?

   You guys (not Howard Roark) built an architecture of value. Until
   you can begin to talk about those values, and translate them for
   others, courts and policy makers generally will never get it."

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf@sethf.com
http://sethf.com