[FYI] Verleger wuerden am liebsten den Handel mit gebrauchten Buechern verbieten

<http://www.corante.com/importance/archives/004933.html>

Complaints About the Used Book Market - Again

The New York Times takes a look at the perennial complaints of book
publishers that the first sale doctrine (aka 17 USC 109 aka used
books) is harming their business because of the increased
efficiencies of Amazon (Online Battle of Low-Cost Books):
Is Amazon.com becoming the Napster of the book business?

The analogy may not be far off, say some observers of the used-book
industry...."Used books are to consumer books as Napster was to the
music industry," [Lorraine Shanley, a principal at Market Partners
International, a publishing consultant,] said. "The question becomes,
'How does the book industry address its used-book problem?' There
aren't any easy answers, especially as no one is breaking any laws
here."

Did I say perennial? Yes. How about this quote from the New York
Times in 2002 (Online Sales of Used Books Draw Protest):
"We asked could we at least talk about when something could become
available as a used book? Could we maybe wait three months after the
book was published?" said Patricia Schroeder, president of the
Association of American Publishers. "The biggest problem is that it
is legal, I think. I wring my hands, pound my desk and say, `Aargh.'
"I think the publishers should simply stop selling books to people
who are going to turn around and sell them as soon as they are done.
Perhaps shrinkwrap contracts or DRM would be in order. (Sarcasm)

via LawMeme
Posted by Ernest at 4:41 PM