A Feast of Peonies by Obi, Chapter 1

                       A Feast of Peonies
                               by
                              Obi

     You feel your legs begin to twitch under the covers.  You open your
eyes.  It's light outside, but very little of the light is getting past the
room-darkening shades.  Nothing around you looks right.  Your balance is
off, and your head swoons.  You look at the clock.  It's in the wrong
place.  5 a.m.  You take a deep breath and exhale slowly.  Then you feel
the hangover right behind your eyes.  What did you drink last night?  Oh
shit!  Tequila shooters.  You try to remember if you smoked any shit.  It's
gone.  The whole evening is gone.
     You feel a stirring next to you.  You turn slowly to see.  Yup,
there's somebody there all right, huddled under the covers like dirty
laundry.  You ponder whether to leave her there asleep, or wake her up.
She clears her throat.  Damn, she has a deep voice.  You peek under the
covers.  The girl is creamy white like she never gets out.  She's lying on
her stomach.  She sure has a skinny ass.  And she's small.  She has a body
like a little boy.  A mop of brown hair covers her face.  She rolls onto
her back.  The bitch has a dick!
     You resist the impulse to shout.  You don't want to wake her . . . him
. . . it up.  You vow never to drink tequila again for as long as you live.
 Ok.  You've got to think.  Maybe there is a reasonable explanation.  Maybe
nothing happened.
     He rolls over and slowly opens one eye, then both eyes, then smiles at
you.
     "Hey, baby," he says.  His voice is still deep, but now it has a
whisperyness to it.  He wants to sound sultry.   He has a Puerto Rican
accent.  "Did you sleep well?"  He smells like a man.
     "Who are you, and what the fuck are you doing here?"
     "I live here," he answers, his smile still radiant.  You wonder if his
too even front teeth are real.
     "Ok, then what am I doing here?"
     "Getting ready to play mama, I hope."
     "I don't do the mama thing," you inform him.
     "That's not what you said last night."
     "What exactly did I say?"
     "You said ok."
     "To what did I say ok?"
     "I said I would suck you if I could fuck you.  You said ok."
     "I did?"
     "You did."
     "Did you do it?"
     "I did it."
     "I don't remember."
     "Ok, I'll do it again."  He moves towards you.
     "No," you say, clutching at the covers.  "I mean I don't remember
saying ok."
     "Well, how else did you get here?" he asks.  "You don't think I
knocked you out and dragged you kicking and screaming, do you?"
     "I'm not a faggot."
     "And your point?"
     "I'm not going to play mama."
     His smile fades as he ponders a moment.  He sits up demurely, and
adjusts the sheet over his folded legs.  His long fingernails are lacquered
bright red.  The mop of brown hair is long on top and sculpted down to a
fuzz around his ears and the nape of his neck.  You try to remember if
you've seen that look on magazine models recently.  His full lips are still
tinged with the red lipstick that had been on them last night.  He has a
small gold ring through his left nipple.  Didn't that hurt?  Both his
nipples are surprisingly pointed and pink.
     You ask, "what's your name?"
     "Phyllis."
     "How old are you?"
     "Old enough that you don't have to worry."  His eyes are a deep green.
     "I want a number."
     "23."
     "Ok, Phyllis, I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to mislead you, but I am not
gay."
     Phyllis ponders a moment longer.  "Ok," he says, "then you fuck me so
I can come."
     Before you can say no, he flips around and onto his knees.  He slides
his knees apart on the silk sheet as he arches his back presenting his
rectum like a little pink flower.  The dark hair running from his scrotum
to his tail bone approximates the shape of a pussy.  Maybe this won't be so
bad.  Is this what Reggie saw?
     "Wait a minute," he says.  He reaches for a small bottle of scented
oil from the bookcase that serves as a headboard, and slathers oil on his
rectum.  He smells wonderful.  He reassumes the position, and pokes his
finger in and out of it a couple of times.  "Ok," he says, "I'm ready."
     He cups his dick and his balls against his stomach so you really can't
see them.  From that angle, if you imagine it right, he looks a lot like a
woman.  His rectum looks just like a woman's rectum, and your dick gets
hard.  You cozy up behind him and rub the tip on the flower.  It feels like
a woman's.  He braces himself so you can push it in.  You push the head
past the rim and he purrs.  Using slow movements back and forth, you work
it all the way in.  You close your eyes.  He begins to rock his pelvis in
and out, and you rub his sides from his armpits to his hips.  He feels just
like a woman, but different.  Not as soft.  You reach around to caress her
breasts.  They're small.  The nipples are firm.  You flip the little gold
ring up and down a couple of times.  You run one hand down her stomach to
her pubic hair.  Her dick is hard and pulsing.  It has oil on it, too.  You
cup the head and rub it slowly.  Her rectum contracts like a pussy.  You
let your fingers ripple back and forth over the rim of the head.  She sits
up resting her weight on her arms, and you stroke her like you would stroke
yourself.  She's small, scarcely five inches.  She comes and fluid spurts
into your hand.  Pulling her body flush against yours, you come and fluid
spurts into her ass.  You nestle your face into the side of her neck.  She
rubs her face against yours.  Before you can catch yourself, you kiss her
on the cheek.  She twists around, and you kiss her full in the mouth.  She
gives you her tongue eagerly.
     She feels your dick slip out of her, and, careful not the kick you,
she turns around.  Her toenails are lacquered the same shade of red.  That
color would look great on a car.  Positioned by your right leg, she leans
over and slides your dick into her mouth.  You lean back and rest your
weight on your arms.  You spread your knees.  She cups the base of your
dick and scrotum in both hands, and works them up and down to the rhythm of
her head moving up and down.  You come again and she swallows.
     You roll to one side and drift into sleep.
     The sky around you is green as are the grass and the trees.  You eat
the grass and your stomach begins to ache.  The ache gives over to an
irresistible urge to take a shit.  You squat behind a tree and push out a
foot long piece of shit.  You wipe yourself with a leaf from a nearby bush,
and drop the leaf on the ground.  From the spot where you dropped the leaf,
the grass begins to turn brown.  The trees begin to droop, and their leaves
turn brown as well.  The sun is setting, and the red rays from the sun turn
the sky brown.  You look down at yourself, and there are maggots crawling
from your dick.
     You wake to the smell of food.  Curry maybe?  You look around the bed
and see your clothes on the floor where you must have dumped them last
night.  You feel the need to cover yourself.  You reach for your pants,
and, pulling them on, you look around the rest of the tiny room.  Your head
is clear now, too clear.
     The bed isn't a complete bed, but merely a mattress on the floor.  The
six-foot bookcase at the head is filled with college text books, novels,
photography books and knickknacks, candles, incense burners, figurines of
Shiva Dancing and Buddha.  There is another figurine, twice as big as the
others.  It has a garland of skulls around its neck.  There's a picture of
a couple holding a little dark haired child.  The woman is looking sternly
into the camera, her mouth set, her eyes sharp like the eyes of a wolf, a
wolf that knows everything.  You have trouble looking at them.  The man is
mousy.  His head is turned away, and he stares off at something or nothing
on the ground outside the picture.  The child– it isn't clear whether it is
a boy or girl– is being held up by both of them, but it is staring up at
the woman.  It's probably Phyllis.  He has his thumb in his mouth.
     A well-worn chest of drawers occupies the opposite corner.  A large
round mirror hangs on the wall above the chest, and the window next to the
chest looks out onto a back yard that serves as a large garden and a
parking lot for four old cars.  There are a couple of throw rugs on the
floor.  The door just at the foot of the bed is closed.
     You slip into your sandals and stand up to pull on your t-shirt.  You
look at yourself in the mirror.  You can't even look at your own eyes.
     Compared to Phyllis, you are tall, six feet two to be exact. And you
are heavy, a hundred and ninety pounds. You carry more of it around your
middle than you would like, but you've been too weak to change your
lifestyle enough or long enough to get rid of it. Your legs and arms are
long and muscular, so you give the appearance of being in better shape than
you are. In fact, except for your mid-section, you look like an athlete.
You don't deserve this body.  Your skin is as dark as black soil, freshly
turned. Your face used to be lean and long.  But now it is oval-shaped from
the fat, and your nose is short and bony like a fish head. Your lower lip
looks bigger than your upper lip because you have a pretty severe over-
bite, and your eyes are heavily pigmented. You've never been referred to as
handsome, but you have been told that your face has character, whatever
that means. You wear your hair in a thick bush.  You force a wide smile
that flaunts a gold-capped upper incisor. The left one. Maybe it's the
stark contrast between your pearly white and gold-capped teeth and your
uncompromisingly black face that people find so interesting.  You don't
deserve this face, either.
     Phyllis opens the door and looks in.  "Oh, you're up," he says, "Are
you hungry?"
     "No," you lie.  "I've got to go."  You avoid looking at him.
     "I'm a good cook," he says, "and I've just warmed up some lamb stew
and rice."
     "I've got to go," you say again.
     "Will I see you again?"
     "Probably not."
     "What's your name?"
     "You didn't even know my name?"
     "You didn't know mine until after we were in the bed naked."
     Some people find you intimidating, especially when they hear your
name, Ashanti Ra. You take a deep breath, and you can feel the power of
your name filling your body.  People think it's a taken name like Kareem
Abdul Jabar or Mohammed Ali.  And they think that you are dangerous. You
don't deny being dangerous, but the name was given to you by your parents,
both of whom died in a car accident in France in 1947. You were seven at
the time.  They were both poets who lived in Greenwich Village, New York,
for years before it became fashionable.  They were well-traveled as well.
If your name is any indication, they spent at least some time in Africa.
You breath in again to feel the power.
     As a rule, you offer your name with a mitigating tone of voice that
puts people at ease as they ponder its origins.  This time, though, you
spit it out like a barb hoping it will sting and offend.
     "Ashanti, ‘Shanti Ra."
     Phyllis ponders a moment, then says, "‘Shanti and Phyllis.  I like
it."
     "There ain't gon' be no ‘Shanti and Phyllis," you tell him.
     "Why not?"
     "There just ain't, that's all."
     "Are you ashamed of me?"
     "No, why should I be ashamed of you?"
     "Are you ashamed of yourself?"
     You pause, about to answer, then shake your head no.  You look away.
     "It's tough being honest," Phyllis says, "especially with yourself."
     Again, you pause.
     "Let's sit down and eat something and talk.  Fifteen minutes is all.
After that, if you want to leave and never come back to come with me again,
fine."
     You try to breathe in the power, but it doesn't work this time.  It's
like your lungs won't fill all the way up.  You don't want to answer yes,
but you can't answer no.  He'll think you're ashamed and afraid of the
truth.  You nod your head yes, and follow him to the kitchen.
     He serves up soup bowls piled with rice and brimming with stew, brown
with chunks of meat and vegetables.  He gives you mismatched silverware and
a piece of paper towel.  The steam wafting up is warm on your face as you
lean over to smell the food.  It has a mix of pungent smelling herbs that
you cannot identify.  Curry?  Thyme?  Rosemary?  The smells are comforting,
relaxing, forgiving.  You dip some of the juice into your spoon, and sip
it.  The flavors bloom in your mouth like flowers.  "This is nice," you
say.
     "I told you I was a good cook."
     You begin chewing rice and carrot and chunks of lamb scarcely
listening, but the sound of your teeth crushing food doesn't cover Phyllis'
voice.
     "I try to be honest with myself," he says.  "So I have no illusions
about who or what I am.  I am a faggot."  You cringe and he continues.  "I
will always be a faggot.  I like myself as a faggot.  But I don't always
like the people that I let fuck me."  He pauses.  "We talked a long time
last night before I brought you home.  And I liked you.  I thought you were
honest, too.  Was I wrong?"
     Does fucking a faggot make you a faggot?  No!  Hell, no!  "I try to be
honest," you say around a mouthful of rice and gravy.  "You got anything to
drink?"  You flip the question off with exaggerated nonchalance.
     "What do you want?"
     "Ice water would be fine."
     "How about some iced fizzy water?"
     "Great.  So what did I say that you thought was so honest?"
     "It's not what you said, rather what you didn't say."
     "Ok," you answer.  "What didn't I say?"
     "You didn't say get the fuck away from me, faggot."  He begins wolfing
his food, scarcely chewing any of the pieces.  It's like his mouth doesn't
want to be bothered with food now.  It wants to keep spitting words at you.
     "Why would I have said that?"  The words sound wrong.  They convey
more than you mean.  He could think that they mean that you fuck faggots
all the time.  You throw down a couple of gulps of water, and stuff more
stew and rice into your mouth.  Your mouth spits too many words.
     "You truly don't remember, do you?" he asks.
     "I truly don't remember."
     "Ok," he says, "it went down like this.  I got to the Latin Club about
ten o'clock, and I was dressed to kill.  I had on my black dress and my
black shoes and my gold earrings."
     "I remember," you say.  "It was so short, it almost showed the crack
of your ass."
     "That was the idea.  Anyway, I saw you at the bar drooling."
     "You did look good."  You quickly stuff more food in.
     "You offered me a drink and I accepted."
     "I remember now," you say, trying to chew more and talk less.  "I
offered you a shooter, but you wanted something long and sweet."
     "I ordered a fuzzy navel, and we talked."
     "About?"
     "Lots of things at first.  We talked about the band's playing.  We
talked about stuff we studied in school.  At some point, you got your nerve
up and whispered that you wanted a piece of me."
     "Did I know you were . . . you know . . ."
     "Gay?  No, not yet.  I leaned over and kissed you."
     "In the mouth?"
     "With my whole tongue, just like this morning."
     You don't want it to, but you can feel your dick begin to pulse.
     "You took that as a yes, and you said you wanted to fuck.  I said I
would suck you if I could fuck you.  You said cool."
     "But I thought you were a woman . . ."
     He holds up his hand to stop you.  "Then I said ‘Did I tell you I was
gay?'  You said, ‘so what?'"
     "But I thought you were a lesbian."
     "In the taxi to my place, you pushed your hand between my legs, and
rubbed me.  You knew what you were getting."
     "I remember thinking you had an awful lot of skin on you pussy, but I
never for one minute thought you didn't have a pussy."
     "We came here and went to bed."
     "And you sucked me?"
     "I sucked your dick," he pauses, "just like this morning."
     You belch, breathe in the power, and say, "I'm sorry, babe.  I may
have said it, but I didn't mean it."
     "That's ok, babe, this morning was worth it."
     He stands up and clears the table, and you watch as he leans over to
sweep a few crumbs in the garbage.  He's wearing that black dress again.
You catch yourself tilting your head to see under it.  You strain to look
away, but you can't.  As if on queue, he looks around and catches you
looking at his ass.  Shit!  Without changing positions, he turns away,
finishes with the crumbs, and places your bowl and glass on the counter.
Then with a flourish, he hikes the hem of the dress up around his waist and
arches his back.  He looks back at you staring at his rectum.  He leans
forward and gaps his legs.  You stare at him, then his rectum, then back at
him.
     "It's tough being honest," he says.
     Still looking you in the eye, he stands up and lets the hem drop.  He
walks slowly around to your side of the table.  His erection pokes out the
front of the dress.  He doesn't bother to try to cover it up.  He turns his
back to you, pulls out a chair, and puts one foot on it.  With a more
exaggerated flourish, he hikes up the dress, leans forward and arches his
back, then spreads his ass.  He doesn't even look around.  He knows what
you are going to do.  She throws her head back and moans like a real woman
as you push deep into her pussy.

     Copyright (c) 2003 by Obi

     For information about A Feast of Peonies, click here:
http://www.penknifepress.com/Shownovel.cfm?NOVELNUM=1

     This message is being sent to a list of selected members of the
literary community.

     This list is ONLY used for Penknife Press notifications.

     TO BE REMOVED FROM THE MAILING LIST, send a message from the address
to be removed to opt-out@penknifepress.com with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the
subject and the first line of the message.

     To Opt In, send an email message to opt-in@penknifepress.com with the
word SUBSCRIBE as the subject and the first line of the message.

     If you CANNOT reply FROM THE ADDRESS TO BE REMOVED, send the message
to publisher@penknifepress.com and be sure to include the address to be
removed in the message somewhere.

     DO NOT SEND ANY OTHER E-MAILS TO THIS ADDRESS OR TO
Fans@Penknifepress.com.   THEY ARE ONLY READ BY A COMPUTER, NOT A HUMAN
BEING.

     - The Publisher

     Copyright (c) 2003 by Penknife Press, Ltd.