Fwd: FC: Germany steps up attempts to police the Net, from NYT

>From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
>To: fight-censorship-announce@vorlon.mit.edu
>Subject: FC: Germany steps up attempts to police the Net, from NYT
>Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 19:29:09 -0400

[I've heard that the judge has halted the case temporarily. --Declan]

*************

http://www.nytimes.com/library/cyber/week/060697germany.html

June 6, 1997

Germany's Efforts to Police the Web Upset Business

By EDMUND L. ANDREWS

RANKFURT, Germany -- With her mohawk haircut and her
activism in the successor to East Germany's old
Communist Party, Angela Marquardt has never worried
about provoking controversy.

But Friday, the 25-year-old university student will
enter a Berlin courtroom to face criminal charges that
she assumed were unthinkable in a democracy. The
charge against her: maintaining an Internet home page
that provided an electronic link to a left-wing
newspaper called Radikal.

The German authorities, alarmed by articles in the
newspaper that offered tips on making bombs and
derailing trains, said she violated government orders
to block access to Radikal.

Ms. Marquardt said she did nothing wrong, and that
people could read the German underground publication
on scores of Internet sites. "I don't see why I should
remove the link from my home page," she said in an
interview this week. "Whether I show it on my page or
not, the link exists."

Ms. Marquardt's case is not unique. German prosecutors
and politicians are pushing harder than officials in
other Western democracies to govern the seemingly
ungovernable reaches of cyberspace. They have pursued
individuals like Ms. Marquardt, they have tried to
block access to other distributors of material they
consider obscene, violent or a danger to society, they
have assigned police who surf the Net looking for
outlaw sites and they are pressing for a law that
commercial online services fear could land their
executives in jail.

[...]