Re: [icann-eu] At Large Study web site, members

Roberto and all,

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> [...]
> >>personally find it hurting that you reduce an international issue into
> >>a matter of local (US) politics.
> >
> >I was objecting to an outrageous case of character assassination  by
> >an American university professor who should know better.
> >

> >>I don't know if you believe in this ideal, or in any other ideal.
> >>But I am sure that Mr. Bildt does have ideals. Nevertheless, if the
> >>news about him not coming to Melbourne is true, I wonder how much
> >>interest he in fact has in this particular issue. I also wonder if any
> >>At Large member is a member of the At Large Study committee. As an At
> >>Large member, I feel like a native american whose future is being
> >>decided by a committee of nine WASP persons (just to put it the
> >>American way, if you like it).
> >
> >We all have ethnic backgrounds of one kind or another.  I'm fourth
> >generation of Irish-American.  What does that have to do with fitness
> >to serve on the study committee?  Were you actually serious in
> >suggesting that all nine of the committee members are Anglo-Saxon
> >Protestant?
>
> As much serious as he was in suggesting of himself being a native american
> ;>).
> I have seen sentences taken out of context and twisted to mean something
> else, but I confess that this is the first time that I see the subordinate
> part of a sentence quoted forgetting the principal.
> ;>)
>

> >I suspect that several of the members of the study committee
> >activated their memberships and voted in last year's election.  Since
> >we promised everyone privacy in this matter,  it's none of your
> >business or mine whether they did or not.
> >
> >The Chair and Vice Chairs of the study committee have already put in
> >dozens of hours working to get the study organized and to prepare for
> >the first meeting in Melbourne.  Pindar Wong, Vice Chair, who is from
> >the Asia Pacific region, is eminently qualified to preside in
> >Melbourne.  As others on this list have observed in the past, there
> >has to be balance in access to the committee via several different
> >means - face to face, email, web, forums, etc.  Since the site and
> >email are now up, further suggestions on effective communication - to
> >the committee and its Executive Director - are very much in order.
> >

> We can argue forever on these matters, but the real point remains: how much
> "user input" gets into the process, independently from the people that are
> already in the process wearing a hat.
> I have almost unlimited faith in Carl Bildt, that I know from the press, and
> unlimited faith in Pindar Wong, that I know personally, but this does not
> prevent me from noting that the participation is not well balanced, and that
> the people that would favour a different model for ICANN's ALM are
> underrepresented. This would make me think that the positions of those
> people (who favour a different model) will not take the major part of the

  I have little faith in political "Appointees" such as Carl Bildt.  Pindar Wong

is a good fellow IMHO.  However many of the rest of this bunch are either
ex-IAHC/gTLD-MoU folks or Ex-ICANN BoD members that are nearly
clueless...  As such, the results of any "Study" this group may decide
to put out will be circumspect at best....