Re: [ICANN-EU] USG's ultimate control, transition roadmap

Hi,

camerons@cwcom.net wrote:

> However I don't support Alf's
> specific proposal for where that transition should take ICANN.  I can't see
> any good reason why ICANN should be 'owned' by any organization rather than
> 'standing alone'.  In particular I would not like ISOC to be the 'owning organization'.

"Standing alone" will not work.

As I said earlier, I thank the US Government for being a responsible
"owner" until better solutions are available.

When I use the term "owner", I mean the entity that can close down the
ICANN organisation. That is what owners can do. It is essential for
ICANN to have owners who represent the Global Internet Community. I
mentioned ISOC, but that was just a question. Come on with better
proposals. Perhaps a formalisation of the Support Organisations (SOs):
"All formally registered Support Organisations are together the owners
of ICANN".

I am not sure if this will work either. I am not an expert on
international private organisation, but I am sure there must be some
experts that can come up with some realistic proposals.

Best regards,
--
Alf Hansen                     Mail address:
                                 UNINETT FAS A/S