[ICANN-EU] Re: USG's ultimate control, transition roadmap

Hi Alf,
hi List,

Alf Hansen wrote:

> When I use the term "owner", I mean the entity that can close down the
> ICANN organisation. That is what owners can do. It is essential for
> ICANN to have owners who represent the Global Internet Community. I
> mentioned ISOC, but that was just a question. Come on with better
> proposals. Perhaps a formalisation of the Support Organisations (SOs):
> "All formally registered Support Organisations are together the owners
> of ICANN".

In Germany, a non-profit-organisation (eingetragener Verein) would be
owned by its members, be they profit organisations (corporations) or single
individuals. There might be non-profit-organisations requiring members to be
individuals.

Such an organisation may be shut down by two reasons: member decision to
shut it down or lack of member interest (then it would be shut down after a
while by the competent state authorities).

So, it stands for its own as long as there are enough interested and
active members willing to support the organisation by work or financially.

I wonder why ICANN did not have members pay a certain fee.

Kind regards,

Patrick Mayer

--
Rechtsanwalt Dr. Patrick Mayer   patrick.mayer@gmx.de