[ICANN-EU] Re: NEW TLDs ?....down the hall to the right...

Ray and all,

ZFASSETT@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/4/00 7:17:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> jwkckid1@IX.NETCOM.COM writes:
>
> << The ICANN board knows this as does DOC/NTIA. >>
>
> I agree.  It seems their best course of preventative measure would be to
> admit 1000 TLD's as fast as possbile.  Say, withinn 36 months? My opnion is
> that they are laying the groundwork for exactly this to take place.

  Well it would seem for one perspective that if ICANN does not act
judiciously with new gTLD applications and refund the $50k to those
that are not selected/edicted that new TLD's outside of ICANN, a
private non-profit corporation BTW, will be undermined as to really
having any real authority now or in the distant future.  This ICANN
Board created this mess, and now have few if any good options
to get our of it.

> The issue of fragmentation then arises where today it is just a possibility.

Fragmentation is indeed possible, but not necessary.  SharedRoots and
Floating Root structures with additional RIR's for IP registries with IPv8
can be used to allow for NO fragmentation.  It would be better if the ICANN
board would except this but I doubt that they will in the near term.  They
likely feel that other registries outside of the Legacy root structure/DNS
are not mature enough to be of interest.  That can change fairly quickly
in today's market.

> It will be interesting to see how this issue plays out and what type of legal
> precedants, if any, are defined and then upheld.  The lawyers are coming, I
> can hear them.

  Of course the legal community is coming!  They also will have their
calculators in had I am sure.  >;)

> Ray  Fassett

Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 9236 fwd's to home ph#