[ICANN-EU] Re: [IFWP] Re: Ken Stubbs @ core deletes vote-auction.com

Jim and all,

Jim Dixon wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Dave Crocker wrote:
>
> > At 11:31 PM 11/3/00 +0000, Jim Dixon wrote:
> > >Given the now-crucial role
> > >that the Internet plays in the global economy, ICANN's hegemony
> > >gives, for example, representatives of small towns in California sitting
> > >on the right committee in Sacramento remarkable and truly unique power
> > >over the rest of the planet.
> >
> > Let's assume that the situation is as simple and unreasonable as you imply:
> >
> > As usual:
> >
> > 1.  it is vastly easier to criticize the status quo than to propose
> > something superior; and
> >
> > 2.  it is vastly easier to propose general ideas than to provide detailed
> > plans; and
> >
> > 3.  it is vastly easier to specify a plan than to make it happen.
> >
> > So what is the point of offering the criticism, absent having done steps 1
> > & 2, and some of 3, above?
>
> I do believe that this is called begging the question.
>
> Given ICANN's peculiar legal status and vulnerability to law suits,
> I strongly recommended to the European Commission that steps be taken
> to ensure that .EU would be delegated as a ccTLD rather than (as
> proposed) a gTLD under ICANN's new procedures.  Fortunately this advice
> was accepted.

  But really .EU is neither.  However it is fortunate that .EU will be treated
as a ccTLD, as you recommended.

> That is, we did steps 1, 2, and 3, and in consequence .EU will be
> largely free from the ICANN mess.

  Yes.  And it is a good thing as well.  The ICANN mess keeps getting
worse.

> > ps.  Absent a U.N. basis, SOME national jurisdiction why apply.  With a
> > U.N. basis, other problems apply.  This, of course, leads to the question
> > about any of this line of complaint, rather than seeking to make the
> > current structure work as well as it can.
>
> Those involved in actually building the Internet on a day to day
> basis spend a good deal of time engineering away single points of
> failure.  ICANN is just such a weak point.  Having power over the
> DNS, the Internet address space, and various other essential bits of
> Internet infrastructure all concentrated in one private company in
> California -- especially this particular private company -- is simply
> foolish.

  We agree here.

> Whatever can be done to provide diversity and resilience in the
> management of the Internet should be done.  Keeping .EU clear from
> ICANN's entanglements was a small but real step in this direction.

  Also agreed.

> Need I point out how unnecessary and how destructive your habitual
> sarcasm and contempt for others is?

  One has to only understand that Dave Crocker is simply displaying that
he sucks on the hind tit of ICANN for his own purposes.

> --
> Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
> tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015

Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 9236 fwd's to home ph#